You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 02:09:05

verma

Gnome Menu Fonts like Ubuntu

Hello All,

I have been setting up my Arch linux desktop environment lately.  I am using compiz and gnome for as my window manager(s).  I have gotten it to look pretty sweet only that I can't figure out one last (hopefully) thing.

I can't get my gnome menu font to look like as in Ubuntu with Subpixel smoothing.  I have gotten the subpixel smoothing to work in general and all my fonts are showing up fine (e.g. fonts in firefox are nicely rendered), see screenshot below.

xNzvq.png

I want my gnome panel fonts to look like the way Ubuntu renders them, which is actually how firefox is rendering them right now (a little thicker).

Is there something I need to do to get this to work? I tried changing Application and Desktop fonts, but they don't seem to be getting me the results I want.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance,
-verma

#2 2009-07-31 02:28:44

Square

Re: Gnome Menu Fonts like Ubuntu

#3 2009-07-31 04:30:59

alienman

Have you tried the many combinations you can do with advanced settings in fonts. I got a very good looking font using subpixel (LCDs) and medium Hinting and also 96 dpi resolution.

Hope it helps you. Also try some hints with the previous link that Square posted.

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#4 2009-07-31 04:50:48

verma

It works! Thanks Square, alienman.  I installed the packages mentioned in that link Square posted and in advanced setting set the Hinting to Slight, the way text renders now is exactly how I wanted it.

Thanks again,
-verma

#5 2009-07-31 07:19:19

Square

verma wrote:

It works! Thanks Square, alienman.  I installed the packages mentioned in that link Square posted and in advanced setting set the Hinting to Slight, the way text renders now is exactly how I wanted it.

Thanks again,
-verma

Please mark the thread [solved] in the title. And... could you post a screenshot similar to the other one showing the difference? tongue

#6 2009-07-31 21:30:51

djszapi
Website

And take the conclusion, archwiki is your best friend wink

Board footer