You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 04:39:51

lseubert

What was pacman's original scripting language?

Good day all,

I am writing an Arch Linux review article, and I need a specific detail about the historical development of pacman. My understanding is that pacman was originally written in a scripting language, and later refactored and written in C, to give it a significant speed boost. Can anybody verify what that original scripting lanugage was?

Also, if any Arch developers, Trusted Users, or long time users would like to critique my article before publication, please let me know in this thread, and I'll send you a copy for review once the article is complete.

Many thanks,
Luke Seubert

Arch Wiki C.V.

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#2 2009-07-31 04:51:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: What was pacman's original scripting language?

I thought it started out in C but I was not here in the early days so could be wrong.

#3 2009-07-31 05:05:46

lseubert

You might be right Alan, as I don't know for sure that pacman started off in a scripting language. But I seem to recall such was the case - where I might have read this I do not remember - and I wanted to factcheck this with the Arch community.

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#4 2009-07-31 05:43:09

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

It's possible that, at one point, Judd uses some scripts to do package management when he was using Crux (I don't know where I got this impression) but I think that they were never released (or at least they weren't called pacman).

See: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … ch_vs_CRUX

#5 2009-07-31 06:30:28

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

#6 2009-07-31 11:12:11

lseubert

OK, thanks for the information Snowman - I appreciate your setting the record straight. Now I got the facts :-)

-- Albert Schweitzer

#7 2009-07-31 23:03:12

djszapi
Website

I've heard that too from TUs/developers, pacman was established in C, so +1

Board footer