You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-01 15:06:21

akephalos

Multiple playback sound works with ALSA, without any configuration

Hey,

I reinstalled my Arch, as many things changed since I did it last time, the first time configuration began to change. Ok so far, I did not have to make all the steps I noted, for example to make XFCE work good. What I don't understand is why ALSA works, with multiple playback, although I have not made any configuration. I don't have asound.conf either. What changed and when? How could I find what server (plugin) it uses, if any running? Basically, I'm interested to know what this configuration is and working.
The only problems I had with the GNOME apps (Exaile, Totem), when they were using the default sink, changing it to 'alsa' worked. But this happened only as I had pulseaudio installed (just that, not configured or something). I uninstalled pulseaudio and everything works!
The only conflict is with the jack server, between it and other sound application running. But this I had always, with any sound configuration I had before, be it pulse, be it manually configured alsa.

Is it alsa (a new version since my last installation), or is it Arch auto configuration?

Last edited by akephalos (2009-08-01 15:11:38)

#2 2009-08-01 18:20:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Multiple playback sound works with ALSA, without any configuration

ALSA is a built in kernel module now. As such, it's automatically loaded at boot.

#3 2009-08-02 22:59:26

akephalos

Re: Multiple playback sound works with ALSA, without any configuration

I'm not so advanced to make the difference, but good to know there is a reason.

Board footer