You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-04 09:01:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

[SOLVED] New rc.conf as part of upgrade

I did an -Syu this evening and once it was complete the pacman print out informed me that I had a rc.conf.pacnew - I duly went through and merged this with my current rc.conf, rebooted and noted something rather odd: during boot the network daemon failed with a time out, but once X had loaded my wireless (wicd) connected without any issues.

I haven't seen any advisories to the effect that there were packages that would affect rc.conf (I did see the changes to inittab) - did I miss something? And does anyone know why network would be hanging during boot?

/edit

Adding a -t3 argument to /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd speeds up the boot process, but it is only addressing the symptom, as it is still failing with a timeout (albeit a much shorter one)...

Any ideas?

Last edited by jasonwryan (2009-08-04 18:37:11)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#2 2009-08-04 16:34:00

ataraxia

Re: [SOLVED] New rc.conf as part of upgrade

The rc.conf update was a "normal" one: just a comment (about an example for setting up a static IP) that made it different from the old default one. You shouldn't have needed to merge anything there. I suggest putting your old one back to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

#3 2009-08-04 18:36:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] New rc.conf as part of upgrade

Thanks ataraxia - that worked (obviously, something I should have tried myself)...

I'll go through the new rc.conf to see what was causing the time-out.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer