You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-05 08:39:27

The Avatar of Time

What Should I Backup For MythTV Before Reinstalling?

Hello All,

I'm getting ready to reinstall Arch64 on my computer. I have MythTV installed and have 500gb's worth of recordings. Now all of the recordings (Default, LiveTV, and DBBackups) are on a seperate hard drive that won't be formatted, so I'm not worried about losing the recordings themselves.

However in the past when reinstalling all I would backup was ~/.mythtv (I didn't really back it up, I just didn't format my /home partition), but then, while my recordings still existed, MythTV wouldn't recognize any of them. I assume this is because I lost the MySQL database?

So I'm just wonder what all I need to backup in order to be able to have MythTV recognise all of my recordings and keep all it's settings etc.. (ie. go back to just how it is now, before a reinstall).

Right now all I can think of is /etc/mythtv and /etc/mysql. But better safe than sorry, so I wanted to ask. I don't have a great understanding of exactly how MythTV works, and I know virtually nothing about MySQL. Before it wasn't a big deal that it wouldn't recognise the recordings because I only had a couple shows recorded, but with as many as I have now..... well, I don't want to go through them all one by one to figure out what they are.

Thank you for the advice.

*Oh, I'm thinking of using tar to archive /etc and just copy it to a spare hard drive, but I'm not sure if there is anything outside of /etc that needs backed up? Thanks!

**Since I had enough free space I decided to just tar all the directories from my root partition and copy them to my media-server. However I would still like to know the answer to this question so that I know what all to copy back over to the new install. I just archived everything so I could go ahead and reinstall now and not have to wait for an answer to start. Thanks.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2009-08-05 09:19:55)

#2 2009-08-08 08:13:45

djszapi
Website

Re: What Should I Backup For MythTV Before Reinstalling?

Hello!

pacman -Ql mythtv && pacman -Ql mysql can help you something too.

But the best solution a full root/home backup.

#3 2009-08-09 23:56:37

xxxspuddy

Re: What Should I Backup For MythTV Before Reinstalling?

You would be best off doing a dump of the database to a safe place, then restoring that once you system is back up and running.  See the link below for more details

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

A temporary file is just a pipe with an attitude and a will to live.

Board footer