You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-07 03:43:03

perbh

Re: How to sort files and folders like Windows

he he - I use arch 99% of the time - the remainder is for windows - and it always p... me off that windows can't sort my files the way linux can.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do to windoze so it will behave more like linux???
I know it has cost me an arm and a leg - so it jolly well _ought_ to be more flexible ...

Last edited by perbh (2009-08-07 03:44:00)

#27 2009-08-07 06:03:33

karol
Archivist

Nazgulled wrote:

I really don't care if it's nonsensical, I use Windows 95% of the time or more, it's my main OS, I'm used to it and I like it. Why should I care if it's not a good practice for a unix style system? I just want things to behave the way I like

In post #17 I wanted to write a little rant about "don't care, I just want it to work my way" but thought it was just me being .. well: me :-)
Maybe I can use my new-found skill to guess pretty girls' phone numbers :-)

Nazgulled wrote:

Well, I know there must be way, it's just probably too much work...

Well, unless someone does it for you, you're on your own. If you understand what are trying to do, you can do it yourself, but you have to know what lever to pull, which screw to tighten. The thing that makes GNU/Linux so special is that you can f*ck-up your system in any conceivable way - in contrast to Windows which always limits your freedom. Many things that would require a direct blessing from Mr. Gates are a matter of minutes/hours on GNU/Linux. The question is: do you care enough to spend some time researching your problem.

The usual collation tells you that "a" comes before "z" - if you don't like it, you can reverse the order or mix it up in a way that suits you. I've e-mailed you that I've done some experiments and I coaxed "[" before "2" so it might work for you. If you want I can send you that file (it's plain text so you can see it's not a virus ;-) ). Then all you have to do (as root) is

localedef -f CP1252 -i pt_BZ /usr/lib/locale/pt_BR.cp1252

where pt_BZ is simply pt_BR locales w/ POSIX collation + one minor change:

LC_COLLATE
order_start forward
<U0000>
<U0001>
<U0002>
<U0003>
<U002E>
<U002F>
<U005B>
<U0030>
<U0031>
<U007E>
<U007F>
UNDEFINED
order_end
END LC_COLLATE

and run

export LC_COLLATE=pt_BR.cp1252

When I ran "ls -l" I got the same order on Arch that you got on Vista (for the test set of folders' names from post #1). I don't use Nautilus and I don't intend to spend more time on fixing your problem - take it or leave it.
It's just a quick-and-ugly hack, so don't blame me if your computer blows up or somethin'. There may be easier/better ways of doing it, but right now I'm off to my 14-hrs-late dinner (pancakes!).
Have a nice weekend.

#28 2009-08-07 06:51:30

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Nazgulled wrote:

Let me rephrase than... Why should I care if something it's not a good practice for a unix style system, something I barely use and use because and when I have to? I can answer that, I shouldn't... And I don't, my main system is Windows, I couldn't care less about good unix practices, I just want things to behave the way I like it. That simple smile

This may be a difference between them, but there's no reason not to be able to configure the system to our liking, to mine in this case. Well, I know there must be way, it's just probably too much work...

If you're not willing to work within the capabilities of the system as it stands, then there's not a lot that can be done to help you.

If you barely use Linux, presumably it can't be that much of a real problem for you. Not enough to invest the time that a solution requires.

#29 2009-08-07 07:33:54

Wintervenom

In before TGN.

Board footer