You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-07 09:42:50

dext

Remote install

"Arch is the best". Arch was the best, because when I needed to install it on server I just downloaded ISO (it was about 2.6.18) plugged in CD and connected via ssh from PC to install OS.

Remembering this, I download new Arch ISO yesterday, plugged in the CD in the morning so I could install Arch from work on one of my PC. I'm sure, that you know the rest of story.

There is no big deal with PC, but how I can reinstall Arch on my server, which is in the basement? Luckily it has VGA card but still? I think, I know the answer, but I like to hear this from somebody for entertainment wink

But seriously. Why did you lock ssh and remove dhclient from ISO? Please, don't tell me, that some bad guy sit somewhere and wait when I boot this, so he can login in one minute...

#2 2009-08-07 10:51:19

jelly
Administrator

Re: Remote install

you could try a PXE boot.

#3 2009-08-07 11:26:53

dext

Nice, it will be faster when I take some chair, keybord i LCD there. I'm waiting when mouse will be obligatory too.

About week ago I was laughing at some guys, who need to do it when they want to install Windows Server...

#4 2009-08-07 16:31:14

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

dext wrote:

I'm sure, that you know the rest of story.

I don't

dext wrote:

But seriously. Why did you lock ssh and remove dhclient from ISO? Please, don't tell me, that some bad guy sit somewhere and wait when I boot this, so he can login in one minute...

We did not remove dhclient.  In fact we just added it.  See : http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 00607.html

As for your issue with ssh, I suggest you raise up this topic on our mailing list.  http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-releng

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#5 2009-08-07 19:18:33

dext

Dieter@be wrote:
dext wrote:

I'm sure, that you know the rest of story.

I don't

I couldn't connect to live cd via ssh from work, because:
- eth0 was down
- sshd was down
- hosts.deny = ALL: ALL

I would be nice if you:
- change rc.conf to try set up eth0 using dhcp
- start sshd by default,
- add sshd to hosts.allow - for local network it would be enough
- and set default password for root

You see, taking LCD and keybord to the basement to set this couple things seems to be quite stupid wink

What is the deal with mailing list? It is better place to ask for enhancement than BBS?

#6 2009-08-07 19:26:43

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

dext wrote:

What is the deal with mailing list? It is better place to ask for enhancement than BBS?

Yes. definitely.  Some developers (like me) follow the forums, but many don't.
The mailing list is where all discussions are going on, so if you want to propose this do it there

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#7 2009-08-08 10:42:46

Lonsas

I agree that it's pretty anoying that you must do this to do a remote install, especially when you're having problems with install and have to go back and forth from the livecd and the actual system.
It's not that hard to only use a keyboard and type blindly, but you still have to run to the server to do this.

Board footer