You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-08 12:48:50

Xi0N
Website

ATI card + Compiz: Videos not displaying

I have an ATI graphic card in my laptop.
The driver i use is the one from ati: Catalyst, installed via pacman....

I can have all the effects from compiz fusion, but, whenever i open a video in vlc, totem or whatever, the video opens, but when is going to play the very first frame, it dissapears. If i disable compiz, i have video reproduction again..........
Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!!

#2 2009-08-08 15:43:52

djszapi
Website

Re: ATI card + Compiz: Videos not displaying

Hello Xion!

Is there such an effect in other video players too ? Did it work earlier, so there were an update ?

#3 2009-08-08 15:56:41

Xi0N
Website

It happens with every video player,..... i did not enable compiz untill now.... so it cannot be any update.......... i think that has something to do with incompatibility between ati cards / catalyst / compiz......

#4 2009-08-09 04:58:01

djszapi
Website

"The proprietary one (catalyst) is only for R6xx (HD2xxx) and newer cards. "

Which card do you use ? Is it in the supported list?
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catal … linux.html

If yes, I would follow once more time the wiki page, before writing to the vendor/author
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … yst_driver

#5 2009-08-09 22:09:47

Xi0N
Website

Ok: I just had to reinstall the whole system: Until now, i was using the propietary drivers from ati: Catalyst.
Now, im using the free ones, and i still have the very same problem with the videos............
Any more idea? sad
Its a shame because compiz seems to be working perfectly but for this error........

Thanks!

#6 2009-08-11 08:25:55

dezza

ATI vs. Compiz

Bad combination ..

You should do with NVIDIA

#7 2009-08-11 08:28:57

AdrenalineJunky

have you tried using a different video output method?

#8 2009-08-11 08:29:26

Xi0N
Website

dezza wrote:

ATI vs. Compiz

Bad combination ..

You should do with NVIDIA

Yes, i know, but there is this problem: When i bought this laptop, i was using windows still and compiz did not exist.
My desktop machine actually has a nvidia card which did not give me absolutely any problem with compiz....

Come on... i cannot belive i am the only user of this ati card with this kind of problems..., am i? hmm

Edit:

have you tried using a different video output method?

How to do this?

Last edited by Xi0N (2009-08-11 08:30:06)

#9 2009-08-11 18:15:04

dezza

Xi0N wrote:

Yes, i know, but there is this problem: When i bought this laptop, i was using windows still and compiz did not exist.

Yes, but why do you need compiz? I don't need compiz and I really hate it .. Gives too many errors just like Vista ..

#10 2009-08-11 18:24:39

Xi0N
Website

dezza wrote:
Xi0N wrote:

Yes, but why do you need compiz? I don't need compiz and I really hate it .. Gives too many errors just like Vista ..

I dont know if it is me getting a bit weird.....
In one thread, i ask some help to dual boot two linux system, arch + backtrack.
Your answer is: Why use backtrack? Arch already has everything you need

This thread: First time, you say i should have nvidia, instead of ati: Great!! Anyone that has used any linux distro for more than one week knows that!!, and now, you say me to drop compiz fusion, and stop using it... why use it? "its useless and i dont like it!!!": Well thats YOU, but its not ME.
I want tu use Arch plus backtrack because i want to, i am free to do so, and the beautiful thing about using linux is that you can have more than one different distro in you computer.......
I use an ati video card in my laptop because i did not plan to use compiz 4 years ago, when i bought it, and i cannot change the card, nor i can afford to buy a new laptop, and i want compiz fully enabled (without errors) in my machine, so, please, if you dont know how to help this things im trying to solve, stay aside, and dont come with this easy answers: I made my mind up: I want compiz working with my ati card, im working on it and trying to find a way to not having problems with it......

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

#11 2009-08-11 18:30:02

AdrenalineJunky

in vlc go to tools > preferences > video > output

opengl output is probably your best bet, but no harm in trying different ones.

#12 2009-08-11 19:54:07

andreamer

try video output X11 and not Xv. youn should also try to configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the options VideoOverlay "on", OpenGLOverlay "off" something like that, it should be easy to find in the forums by searching about xorg.conf configuring. Altough i have an ATI and needn't to do that.

#13 2009-08-11 20:05:06

AdrenalineJunky

does xv work better on older ati hardware then on newer? xv + catalyst = lots of tearing for me....

of course there are always the open source drivers too.... if you don't have another reason for needing catalyst.

Board footer