You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-30 17:42:38

poetofnumbers
Website

WindowMaker 0.91

I have just uploaded a package for the latest version of Windowmaker to the incoming
register.  The following is a copy of the contents of the corresponding PKGBUILD.

pkgname=windowmaker
pkgver=0.91.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="An X11 window manager with a NEXTSTEP look and feel"
depends=('xorg' 'libtiff' 'zlib' 'libjpeg' 'libungif' 'libpng')
source=("ftp://ftp.windowmaker.org/pub/source/release/WindowMaker-$pkgver.tar.bz2")
url="http://www.windowmaker.org/"
md5sums=('9d5e583e6cce5b4d16bb686b0c26c5dc')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/WindowMaker-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc 
    --with-appspath=/usr/share/WindowMaker/GNUstep
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

While I would have liked to avoid naming any one x11 implementation as a dependency,
this version of windowmaker required libXft2 >2.1.0.  The default xfree86 package does
not meet this requirement, while the default xorg package does.  So I went with the path
of least resistence.

As a sidenote, the windowmaker-extra package is still up to date.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#2 2004-10-31 15:29:11

Kalidor

Re: WindowMaker 0.91

Anti-aliased fonts for my window manager of choice! Finally! What a great moment... big_smile

#3 2004-11-04 04:08:48

poetofnumbers
Website

After reading through the windowmaker installation documentation, I found that by replacing
the following line in the above PKGBUILD

with

make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install-strip

the debugging symbols will be stripped from the binaries.  This obviously makes these files
smaller.  I have put a new version of this package, version 2, in the incoming repository.  The
file to look for is windowmaker-0.91.0-2.tar.bz2, and will contain the PKGBUILD file, the
actual package, as well as the filelist file.

Also, I noted that the installation documentation said to run ldconfig after the make install.
While I am not expert in Linux, I believe that this can be neglected.  I am running this new
package version without troubles, and ldconfig apparently runs during the bootstrap process.
Besides this, I receive an error when I include 'ldconfig' as the final command in build()  ---
a complaint that /etc/ld.so.conf~ cannot be created.  Obviously a problem with permissions.
If anyone has any solutions to this problem or believes that including 'ldconfig' is necessary,
please let me know.  As with all other posts, my contact information is at the bottom, and
my email address is on my webpage.

There exist everywhere continuous nowhere monotic functions.

#4 2004-11-04 14:24:28

poetofnumbers
Website

Just for your information, I had troubles starting windowmaker when I was running libtiff
version 3.7.0-1.  These troubles disappeared as soon as I upgraded to libtiff 3.7.0-2.

#5 2004-11-04 17:34:40

Kalidor

poetofnumbers wrote:

After reading through the windowmaker installation documentation, I found that by replacing
the following line in the above PKGBUILD

with

make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install-strip

the debugging symbols will be stripped from the binaries.  This obviously makes these files
smaller.

Hmm. Shouldn't makepkg automatically take care of stripping binaries and libraries (i.e. unless you run it with --nostrip)?

#6 2004-11-04 19:33:07

poetofnumbers
Website

The man pages are in your favor Kalidor.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I always enjoy
learning something new.

Board footer