You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-09 08:26:14

sandstorm

Blue Ray Disk Equipment and Players

Hi all,

just a quick question: in general, is it possible to watch blue ray disks (bd) with Archlinux? Which hardware equipment is best to be used and which applications for playing have to be used?

I am interested in the solution, so commercial applications are also valid for me. Has anyone experience with this topic?

Best regards,
Martin

#2 2009-08-09 09:14:09

IncredibleLaser

Re: Blue Ray Disk Equipment and Players

I think it's impossible. It's because of the format's encryption, though BD+ was said to be "cracked" late '08. You might find a way of getting the contents of such a disk at doom9. There is no legal way to play BD on Linux.

#3 2009-08-09 11:06:11

flamelab

BluRay demands DRM components installed (players, codecs, even the OS) in order to be played, which is something that is included into Windows, but  not on Linux. BD can be ripped on to the disk, but ... ripping 15 GBytes of video on the disk..... I don't think that's what we want.

#4 2009-08-09 11:15:14

IncredibleLaser

It's definetly not the best way, but it might work. However, you might need slighly more than 15 GB, I'd say 25. But at today's prices for space, that is not very much. Hard disks start at less than 6 cent/GB here.

#5 2009-08-10 03:04:19

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've never tried it, but it's worth a look:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr … ayAndHDDVD

#6 2009-08-25 21:07:11

sandstorm

Are there any volunteers which have tested this? It is important that I would only like to use original blue rays in blue ray players ... but on Linux as I do not have Windows or an Apple wink

Best regards,
Martin

#7 2009-08-27 00:06:28

10wattmindtrip

I have tried..

There are ways to get "certain" movies working with your BluRay player, but it's _not_ a pretty process.. Very tedious and I, honestly don't recommend it. If you _really_ want to know how to do it you can search the doom9 forums.. DumpHD is used as the decrypter; then you need a little thing called aacskeys which holds the currently supported movie keys... Like I stated, not a lot are working..

which would you choose: A god that never answers you or a society that embraces you?

#8 2009-08-27 01:32:13

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

IncredibleLaser wrote:

I think it's impossible. It's because of the format's encryption, though BD+ was said to be "cracked" late '08. You might find a way of getting the contents of such a disk at doom9. There is no legal way to play BD on Linux.

Like he says. Strictly speaking, it's not even possible to watch CSS-encrypted DVDs on Linux without breaking the law.

Yes, I know. Go figure.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2009-08-27 03:16:52

flamelab

B wrote:
IncredibleLaser wrote:

Like he says. Strictly speaking, it's not even possible to watch CSS-encrypted DVDs on Linux without breaking the law.

Yes, I know. Go figure.

I think law breaking with CSS has to do with US states only hmm (or am I wrong ? )

#10 2009-08-27 03:48:48

skottish
Forum Fellow

flamelab wrote:
B wrote:
IncredibleLaser wrote:

Yes, I know. Go figure.

I think law breaking with CSS has to do with US states only hmm (or am I wrong ? )

The CSS laws are international. Different countries take them with different levels of seriousness. The US is only the poster child here; A little research will show that CSS and related technologies are about copyrights and not patents.

#11 2009-08-27 04:03:09

Anonymo
Website

I did not know this.  Good thing I did not buy that Blu-ray drive.  F***ing ridiculous.

#12 2009-08-27 04:25:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

Blu-Ray is already being obsoleted by the network-centric "Cloud". The move towards subscription based content rendered by a network appliance is nearly complete. All that was necessary was to implement the "digital standard" and get fast enough broadband to the majority of households. Even in here in the States where the average broadband speed isn't all that fast, it's already becoming feasible.

#13 2009-08-27 13:45:09

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

While that may be true, the network approach leaves the consumer with even less rights than ownership of DRM'ed physical media. You pay to view something and *poof* it gets disabled after your maximum amount of views. Depending on the leniency of the DRM you may or may not play it back on a device other than the one you downloaded it on. If the DRM allows unlimited playback (often only on a few devices) then the data is still useless when the DRM servers go down (and we have had some high-profile cases in the last few years - Walmart, Yahoo, and maybe some others too). Of course, once you have the data and you have the tools to strip the DRM (if possible), there is little difference with ripping a Blu-Ray or DVD and storing it.

Collectors will still want the physical media too though. I am not a fan of the whole cloud hype - I don't like storing valuable data online, it is more vulnerable there than on a local removable medium, and when it comes to online media delivery, if you want quality material you'll need a beefy internet connection too if you watch streamed stuff.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#14 2009-08-27 14:26:14

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

@B
+1 on that, people always complain about privacy issues and yet they happily use _online_ services to store data .... go figure. As you say, even if you have local copies of the files, if the drm server goes down then ... "we're sorry but we can no longer provide this service, thank you for giving us your money but now we're rich and we don't need you anymore", not even mentioning that if you want to watch _the same thing_ on several different devices most probably you will need to buy it all over again (that's completely fair, as far as the ones receiving the money are concerned that is).

Current "anti piracy" laws would be hilarious if it wasn't for people getting sued for ridiculously high amounts of money and the legal constraints anyone faces if wanting to keep legal.
Also the current practise of ISPs is to limit the speed of non http traffic (or even all traffic during peak hours of the day) and according to recent news it is being considered to limit the speed of the http traffic during half the day if they decide you are using it beyond what is considered "fair use" ... there goes "the cloud" down the drain.

And lastly, as always, linux users get screwed as there is no support whatsoever from anyone (concerning the playback of media with DRM) if you want to stay legal or don't want all the hassle (and risks) of going around DRM.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#15 2010-08-19 19:28:25

sandstorm

Coming back to topic: is there at the moment any possibility to play original Bluerays on Linux resp. Archlinux? I do not want want to buy total new hardware beside a BR player.

#16 2010-08-19 19:42:54

Skripka

sandstorm wrote:

Coming back to topic: is there at the moment any possibility to play original Bluerays on Linux resp. Archlinux? I do not want want to buy total new hardware beside a BR player.

Nope.  Not that is root-canal level of pain.

I don't think BluRay will even play on MacOSX, last I knew.  It requires DRM software built into the OS-that last I knew only Windows has.

#17 2010-08-19 20:35:19

Gusar

sandstorm wrote:

There's libbluray:

git clone git://git.videolan.org/libbluray.git

and libaacs:

git clone git://git.videolan.org/libaacs.git

MPlayer and MythTV have support for them. You'll need decryption keys for you movies. A quite large list of them is at the doom9.org forums, and then there are a few other methods to get them, but I've no idea how well they work. This won't work for Blu-rays with BD+, but a libbdplus is in development by the libaacs devs, it just isn't public yet.

Then there's another method, works for all Blu-rays, including those with BD+: MakeMKV

Last edited by Gusar (2010-08-19 20:35:50)

Board footer