You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-11 06:36:30

Naga

Super and Hyper in the Console

I'm trying to use loadkeys and a .map file in order to get my Windows keys on my keyboard mapped to the Super key. This is the error it gives me.

unknown keysym 'Super_L'

I've tried "Super_L", and just "Super", as well as "super".

I've looked around, as well, and all I could find was how to do this in X11. I'm trying to do this solely for the Console. Is there a way?

#2 2009-08-16 19:21:02

djszapi
Website

Re: Super and Hyper in the Console

Welcome to the forum, Naga!

Did you try it ?
http://rubenlaguna.com/wp/2007/01/09/ho … -in-linux/

#3 2009-08-16 19:49:57

Profjim

I don't think Super* modifiers exist outside of X.

man dumpkeys wrote:

-l --long-info
              This option instructs dumpkeys to print a long information listing. The output is the same as with the --short-info appended with the list  of  action
              symbols supported by loadkeys(1) and dumpkeys(1), along with the symbols' numeric values.

So then
:

$ dumpkeys -l  | tail
Recognized modifier names and their column numbers:
shift          1
altgr          2
control          4
alt          8
shiftl         16
shiftr         32
ctrll         64
ctrlr        128
capsshift        256

On my machine, the Windows key has keycode 125 (found using showkey -k in the console).

I've written my own keymap overlay file, which contains among other things:

keycode 125 = AltGr

I then load that keymap file in /etc/rc.local using:

loadkeys -q /path/to/my/file.map

But as I said, I think the only modifiers available are the ones listed by dumpkeys -l.
I haven't yet come across any terminal apps that understand/reference the Super key,
in any case.

#4 2009-08-16 20:24:38

thisoldman

I'm no farther along than you are.  I'm so fumble-fingered that the non-functional Windows key is an advantage--it keeps me from hitting the Ctrl and Alt keys simultaneously.

I found my left Windows key is keycode=125 and the right is keycode=126.  I don't know if the Windows key can be used as a modifier, but you should be able to assign a macro to it.

The best howto I've found on loadkeys and keymaps is at  http://www.developertutorials.com/tutor … page1.html.  It's going to take me several passes through that tutorial before I get anywhere with key maps.  Perhaps the information will be of some use to you.

Board footer