You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-11 09:37:18

Leye

[SOLVED] IBus works, but Chewing doesn't

Hi,

I need Chinese input in Archlinux, preferably Zhuyin Fuhao (Chewing). Instead of SCIM, I'd like to try the new IBus because I always had some little problems with SCIM and I also have the feeling that SCIM is a way inactie (?).

After having built ibus and ibus-chewing from ABS and installing the packages, I cannot use it unfortunately. If I open up the preferences and activate the language bar to be open all the time, there is no language bar at all (yeah I activated Chewing input!). There's just an empty panel that I can drag around. Neither can I summon the language bar with the shortcuts. I've already tried writing

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

into .bashrc as suggested.

Since IBus is a fairly new project, I wonder if anyone else uses it and could help me with it. smile

Last edited by Leye (2009-11-23 17:04:35)

#2 2009-08-16 19:54:14

djszapi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] IBus works, but Chewing doesn't

Hello Leye!

Is it problem for you in archlinux only, did you try it with another distribution ?

#3 2009-08-17 08:42:01

Leye

Hi djszapi big_smile

I've never tried IBus before, nor did I try it on another distribution since I've been using Arch primarily. Can you run IBus successfully?

#4 2009-08-17 13:09:54

allbluedream

I'm using ibus. As I checked, I actually have those "export" lines in my bashrc commented out. I'm using Pinyin, Wubi and Anthy, but never tried Chewing.

How do you start ibus though? I have "ibus-daemon --xim" in my Gnome started app list.

#5 2009-08-18 09:09:31

Leye

Hi, nice to hear from you smile

I have Pinyin and Zhuyin Fuhao installed, and I was curious if your startup command will work for me, but it doesn't. sad

May I ask, do I have to install xim also because of your "--xim"?

Perhaps with a picture you can see what exactly the problem is (look in the lower right corner):

bildschirmfotoj.th.png

#6 2009-11-06 16:15:30

imrehg
Website

Leye wrote:

I need Chinese input in Archlinux, preferably Zhuyin Fuhao (Chewing). Instead of SCIM, I'd like to try the new IBus because I always had some little problems with SCIM and I also have the feeling that SCIM is a way inactie (?).

Not sure if since your posts you found the answers. I hope you did. On the other hand.... I'm using gcin (in extra.), that seems to work really well. Has a number of different input methods, Chewing is surely one of them, and I think it can do both traditional and simplified Chinese. I have to double-check, but I don't think I had to do any special setup to get it to work...

#7 2009-11-19 15:07:15

Leye

Hello,

after some time, I tried once again to run Ibus on Archlinux. I already tried Ibus on Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and it works fine and is really neat, so now I wanted to try Ibus on Arch again.

At least with the ibus and ibus-chewing packages in AUR, I was able to run Ibus and now I even see a language bar showing up. I use Chewing as an input, however, when I summon it, the language bar appears, but I cannot type anything! When I switch from "Chi" to "Eng" in the language bar, I can type English letters, but with "Chi" there's no Bopomofo at all! No matter what I type, there are simply no characters showing up. As if I wasn't typing anything at all.

I tried to configure some GNOME keyboard settings and Ibus keyboard settings, but this hasn't had any results so far. In contrast to Arch, Ibus runs fine on Linux Mint, and I already compared my Ibus settings on Arch and Linux Mint, but I can't finde any difference.

Did anyone else get Ibus working wit Arch? I'd appreciate any hints over this affair ...

@ imrehg,

First I'll try to get Ibus working, perhaps if nothing helps I'll look at Gcin again. I didn't like Gcin that much, but I'll take another look on it if Ibus won't work.

EDIT

Both ibus and ibus-git from AUR don't work, and by the way, ttf-arphic-uming is installed!

Last edited by Leye (2009-11-19 15:12:32)

#8 2009-11-19 16:00:06

biloky

Hello Leye,

ibus/ibus-chewing is working here. Try the following PKGBUILDs.

I have the 3 export lines on my /etc/profile and I am using an English locale.

Btw, the 20091002 version of ibus-chewing does not work for me.

PKGBUILD (ibus)

pkgname=ibus
pkgver=1.2.0.20091024
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Next Generation Input Bus for Linux"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('LGPL')
url="http://ibus.googlecode.com"
depends=('dbus-python>=0.83.0' 'gconf' 'python>=2.5.0' 'pygtk' 'pyxdg' 'iso-codes' 'librsvg')
optdepends=('notification-daemon')
makedepends=('intltool')
provides=('ibus=1.2.0')
install=ibus.install
source=(http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz)
md5sums=('2133a37805abff86f6aa160f08dcd4f4')

build() {
    cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/ibus --sysconfdir=/etc \
      --with-gconf-schema-file-dir=/usr/share/gconf/schemas

make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install
}

ibus.install

pkgname=ibus

post_install() {
    echo "Updating gtk.immodules..."
    /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
    echo "Done."

usr/sbin/gconfpkg --install ${pkgname}
    gtk-update-icon-cache -fq -t /usr/share/icons/hicolor
}

pre_upgrade() {
    pre_remove $1
}

post_upgrade() {
    post_install $1
}

pre_remove() {
    usr/sbin/gconfpkg --uninstall ${pkgname}
}

post_remove() {
    /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
    gtk-update-icon-cache -fq -t /usr/share/icons/hicolor
}

PKGBUILD (ibus-chewing)

pkgname=ibus-chewing
pkgver=1.2.0.20090917
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Chinese Chewing Engine for IBus Framework"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('LGPL')
url="http://ibus.googlecode.com"
depends=('ibus=1.2.0' 'libchewing>=0.3.2' 'libxtst' 'gob2')
makedepends=('swig' 'cmake')
source=(http://ibus.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-Source.tar.gz)
install=(ibus-chewing.install)
md5sums=('fa4d768348595c0c7ffa5e8740558d85')

build() {
    cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-Source

cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX='/usr' -DLIBEXEC_DIR='/usr/lib/ibus' \
      -DGCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALLED_DIR='/usr/share/gconf/schemas'
    make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install
}

ibus-chewing.install

pkgname=ibus-chewing

post_install() {
    usr/sbin/gconfpkg --install ${pkgname}
}

pre_upgrade() {
    pre_remove $1
}

post_upgrade() {
    post_install $1
}

pre_remove() {
    usr/sbin/gconfpkg --uninstall ${pkgname}
}

#9 2009-11-19 19:46:45

Leye

biloky, you made my day! big_smile

Finally, I'm able to use Ibus on Arch, thanks to your PKGBUILDs! Fortunately, you shared your PKGBUILDs with me, thank you very much for your help! smile

EDIT

One more thing to ask: What do you do if a new version gets released? Would you still stick to the older PKGBUILD or would you try each new release? I ask this because this is my first time that I have to depend on an altered PKGBUILD. hmm

Last edited by Leye (2009-11-20 09:37:21)

#10 2009-11-20 15:53:10

biloky

Hi Leye, glad to be of help. smile  I've reported this to the maintainer and the ibus package in AUR has already been updated. I usually try the new releases first.

#11 2009-11-20 19:55:15

Leye

First let me thank you for your kind effort. I've noticed that ibus' PKGBUILD has changed like you said, it's nice to see how much this community collaborates. smile

Yet I wonder why exactly IBus didn't work for me--was it because ibus itself (that is now updated)? Or was it because ibus-chewing that is still 20091002 in AUR and so I have to use your 20090917 PKGBUILD?

#12 2009-11-21 04:03:43

biloky

Out of curiosity, I tried ibus/ibus-chewing without the schemas... and indeed they worked.  I guess it wasn't the schemas that fixed your problem, it was the old version of ibus-chewing. 

As for the ibus-chewing 20091002 version, it actually works... only that it doesn't display the zhuyin characters as you type them. Try keying 1-8-7 in succession and you'll get a "pa" character. You can even select from a list of choices after pressing the down key. Not sure if this is a bug or by design.  And lastly, the configuration dialog is now always(?) in chinese, even under an english locale.

#13 2009-11-23 17:03:58

Leye

Hi biloky, thanks for your reply!

I think I'll stick with the older September release of ibus-chewing for now--I wouldn't like the Zhuyin characters not appearing to be a feature. It's not because I cannot type blindly, but I just want the input method to display them. wink

By the way, I compiled the latest ibus package and my interface is on English. Perhaps it's because my locales are actually de_DE?

As for now, I'm happy that I can use IBus so far, it's really great. Thank you for your help, biloky, perhaps there will be something that I have to add, but I'll mark the topic as solved for now. smile

Board footer