You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-12 11:25:49

zephyrus17

Wallpaper behind gnome-panel using compiz

When I use compiz to set the wallpaper for me, I have 6 different wallpapers for my 6 'desktops'. I only have a transparent gnome-panel at the top. Problem is, the wallpaper of the first desktop will show on all the other desktops through the panel, and not the wallpaper that was assigned. Is this a common fault?

#2 2009-08-12 16:46:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Wallpaper behind gnome-panel using compiz

The transparency of the gnome-panel is 'fake', in that it actually paints the desktop (done by Gnome without knowledge of Compiz). If you really want a transparent part of the panel, try using the greenscreen plugin for compiz (I think its not developed anymore, and it barely made beta, but its the only thing of its type), google for it. I found it easier in the end to just auto-hide the panel and rely on some alternative like cairo-dock.

EDIT: Because I'm a nice person, and because I wanted to try it out myself, [url=http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29209]here's the AUR package for the greenscreen plugin. It works on my system, going to try some interesting conkies with it soon.

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-08-13 02:09:44)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-08-14 02:07:10

zephyrus17

Yeah.. I was planning on adding conkies too. I tried to just delete the last panel, but somehow Gnome made the panel a requirement and so I can't delete it. killall gnome-panel just makes it go away...and come back again. Gnome is driving me more and more into sheer frustration.

#4 2009-08-14 02:46:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

The last gnome-panel cannot be removed, its integral to the system somehow. You could just set it to 'hidden' in gconf-editor and set some absurdly long show time.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-08-14 05:57:49

zephyrus17

*sigh* I guess that or tweaking it in gconf-editor. What is the reasoning behind this 'last panel cannot be removed' implementation?

#6 2009-08-15 00:33:31

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

No idea, you'd have to go to the devs for that. I believe gnome-panel, the process, is responsible for more than just the panel?

#7 2009-08-15 00:39:43

zephyrus17

Guess so

Board footer