You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-12 21:10:42

kokaku

Which AUR site?

If you go to AUR Home
http://aur.archlinux.org/index.php

there's a big warning to use this site instead
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?repo=Community

However, if you search for spawn-fcgi on the first one, you'll find it.
If you search for it on the second one, you won't.

That's really confusing for a newcomer.
Which site is the right one?
Whichever one has what you're looking for? hmm

thx

#2 2009-08-12 21:19:25

loafer

Re: Which AUR site?

I may have missed the point but isn't the first URL for AUR and the second for Community?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-08-12 21:20:42

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Sounds clear enough to me...

If you're looking for something in [Community] use http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?repo=Community.
If you're looking for something in AUR/Unsupported use http://aur.archlinux.org.

Since spawn-fcgi is in Unsupported, not [Community], of course it will only show up on the AUR search.

Last edited by Ghost1227 (2009-08-12 21:21:06)

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2009-08-12 21:23:59

bhadotia

kokaku wrote:

If you go to AUR Home
http://aur.archlinux.org/index.php

there's a big warning to use this site instead
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?repo=Community

However, if you search for spawn-fcgi on the first one, you'll find it.
If you search for it on the second one, you won't.

That's really confusing for a newcomer.
Which site is the right one?
Whichever one has what you're looking for? hmm

thx

It just means that the repo is not officially maintained by the Trusted Users(TU). AUR is just like launchpad on ubuntu where you may get updated software but that is not officially supported by canonical or the official multiverse/universe repos. See these links for more info on unofficial repos and official repos.
So you can use the PKGBUILD from AUR if you don't find the package in any of the official repos.

Last edited by bhadotia (2009-08-12 21:30:57)

#5 2009-08-12 21:38:42

Stythys
Website

I thought the TU's were formed to look after the community repo tongue. What does being a TU mean now?

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#6 2009-08-12 21:40:57

kokaku

Thank you all for your very speedy responses. The difference between unofficial and community was not clear to me.

Last edited by kokaku (2009-08-12 21:43:40)

#7 2009-08-12 22:54:47

wonder
Developer
Website

Stythys wrote:

I thought the TU's were formed to look after the community repo tongue. What does being a TU mean now?

don't look at what bhadotia said.

TU's maintain [community] as they did in the past. The only thing that was changed was the place where packages can be flagged out-of-date and to the same framework as the core/extra.

Last edited by wonder (2009-08-12 22:58:12)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2009-08-12 23:49:39

bhadotia

wonder wrote:
Stythys wrote:

I think you guys misunderstood. What I said was that the PKGBUILDS in AUR are not supported by TUs but by ordinary arch users (or, ofcourse, non arch users); [community] repo is ofcourse maintained by TUs as distinct from [core]/[extra] which are dev maintained.

#9 2009-08-13 07:25:58

jelly
Administrator

bhadotia wrote:
wonder wrote:
Stythys wrote:

I think you guys misunderstood. What I said was that the PKGBUILDS in AUR are not supported by TUs but by ordinary arch users (or, ofcourse, non arch users); [community] repo is ofcourse maintained by TUs as distinct from [core]/[extra] which are dev maintained.

Still your point isn't that valid , just check the wiki it's there , it's true

( Some TU's actually code for AUR )

#10 2009-08-13 15:29:07

bhadotia

bhadotia wrote:
wonder wrote:
Stythys wrote:

Well it is valid if I edit my post and correct a small mistake I made.:D I said thst AUR is not supported by TUs but by ordinary arch users. In place of that I should have said that "it is not usually supported by TUs but by ...."

And to refresh the memory of those are so thirsty for my blood lol , here is a quote from the wiki:

The AUR also supports allowing untrusted users to submit PKGBUILDs for other users to use if they wish. These packages are unsupported, and the packages are sometimes called the [unsupported] repository, though since no binary packages are distributed, unsupported isn't really a repository. Trusted users can adopt packages from unsupported into [community] at their discretion, whether it is because the package is popular or because they are interested in maintaining it.

It says here clearly that if a TU is willing, he can adopt a package (more specifically the package for the PKGBUILD (this time I'll be precise tongue)) from AUR and then that package is included in [community].
I hope I made myself clear. Man you guys are some debaters!

Last edited by bhadotia (2009-08-15 17:00:31)

Board footer