You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-12 23:27:00

akurashy

KDE: Dolphin search not searching, and menu editor

Well, I'm trying to look for some files, sometimes I use the `find` command but then again I don't know if there is a better way to search (as in having a gui). I was reading a while ago about document indexers, could anyone fill me in a bit, is this what I'm looking for?

Also, does KDE have a menu editor? been looking at settings menu for a while, after my switch from gnome to kde the menu is pretty crowded and need to re-organize (and also need to add new icon)

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-08-12 23:32:34

lucke

Re: KDE: Dolphin search not searching, and menu editor

You need to have nepomuk/strigi enabled to use the Search field in Dolphin (System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Search).

Right click on the K menu icon and choose Menu Editor.

#3 2009-08-13 00:07:26

akurashy

It says it failed to initalize the system, due to a "installation problem". I tried to re-install it but no luck =/ is there a way to manually turn the service (or something to find out whats wrong with it?)

#4 2009-08-13 00:38:44

lucke

I saw that error once or twice and it eventually worked anyway. Try relogging.

#5 2009-08-13 01:14:07

akurashy

Now I got more problems

Using KDM, I tried to log out but it gave me a black screen with white letters going vertical over and over. *Using a laptop here, just for reference*
So whenever I shutdown or log out its the same, except shutting down really shuts down and logging out leaves me with the black screen

So I was forced to power off then relogged, sadly the service is still down.

By the way is there a way to stop Kontact and amarok and pidgin starting up at log? I don't recall adding them..

#6 2009-08-13 01:28:26

lucke

Logging out on my netbook currently puts me into virtual console - graphics side in Linux world is still in a bit of flux due to all those recent changes. You generally should be able to alt-ctrl-f1 to the first virtual console, login as root and run "init 3; init 5" to get X running again (if you're starting kdm through inittab).

You can try playing with strigiclient/strigicmd - maybe it'd point to something. You can use locate (after running updatedb) in the console to
quickly search for filenames.

Did you have those apps open when you were logging out? KDE by default starts whatever you had running last time.

#7 2009-08-13 01:36:17

akurashy

lucke wrote:

Logging out on my netbook currently puts me into virtual console - graphics side in Linux world is still in a bit of flux due to all those recent changes. You generally should be able to alt-ctrl-f1 to the first virtual console, login as root and run "init 3; init 5" to get X running again (if you're starting kdm through inittab).

You can try playing with strigiclient/strigicmd - maybe it'd point to something. You can use locate (after running updatedb) in the console to
quickly search for filenames.

Did you have those apps open when you were logging out? KDE by default starts whatever you had running last time.

I'll give that next time *just hoping I don't forget!*

I ran strigidaemon, it started collecting stuff but segfaulted later on

'12/13' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                               
'Coldplay' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                           
''Til Kingdom Come' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                   
'X & Y' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                               
'alternative' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                         
'13/13' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                               
'Help Is Round The Corner' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                           
'Alternative' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                         
'Yellow' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                             
Error in parsing:                                                                                                   
'' is not a UTF8 or latin1 string                                                                                   
Error: Directory Image: Next pointer is out of bounds; ignored.                                                     
Warning: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has unknown Exif (TIFF) type 0; setting type size 1.                         
Error: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has invalid size 538976288*1; skipping entry.                                   
Warning: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has unknown Exif (TIFF) type 0; setting type size 1.                         
Error: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has invalid size 1128354633*1; skipping entry.                                 
Error: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has invalid size 538976288*1; skipping entry.                                   
Error: Directory Image, entry 0x0000 has invalid size 1128354633*1; skipping entry.                                 
Segmentation fault

I didnt paste everything, seemed irrevelant
any suggestions?

It's quite a pity, log out worked well for GDM, and KDM is giving me problems, maybe I should switch back and see

#8 2009-10-30 00:34:55

Thalskarth

akurashy wrote:

It says it failed to initalize the system, due to a "installation problem". I tried to re-install it but no luck =/ is there a way to manually turn the service (or something to find out whats wrong with it?)

I have the same problem. I can star nepomuk without problems, but Strigi always gives me that message and it fails.

lucke wrote:

I saw that error once or twice and it eventually worked anyway. Try relogging.

I've try that, actually i have the problem since i've intalled KDE4.3 and it has never worked strigi.

English is not my native lenguage

#9 2009-10-30 02:51:54

at-2500

just in case you have not yet found your solution, and for anyone whos got the same problems:

i think kdebase-kfind is what you're looking for (also from inside dolphin ctrl-f).

kde got a nice menu-editor, just right-klick onto the kickoff-button.

Board footer