You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-14 14:35:03

blackfedora

Quick mounting issue {solved}

I'm trying to repair my system (pacman updated libreadline without bash and I didn't think to stop it) all the forum posts say to mount to /mnt and then use the live CD to get your network and mirror list up, but I can't mount my /var partition and pacman keep breaking and claiming that it can't fint mnt/var when I try to update. I formatted according to the beginners guide so my /var is ReiserFS format and the /home and /root are both ext3. /home and / both mount happily on /mnt but /var refuses to mount and the command mount gives me "unknown filesystem type "ReiserFS"". I've tried various abbreviations but I couldn't get it to mount and my quick search didn't turn up a post about how to mount ReiserFS format, mostly threads about which filesystem to choose. I assume I just need to use the right parameters to get mount to recognize the partition.

so... anyone know the parameter for ReiserFS?

Last edited by blackfedora (2009-08-14 19:00:08)

Confusion is always the most honest response, and I'm a very honest person

#2 2009-08-14 17:50:38

perbh

Re: Quick mounting issue {solved}

tunefs.reiserfs ?
With all due respect for the 'live' arch - my own preference is decidedly 'grml', don't know what I'd do without it ...

#3 2009-08-14 18:59:32

blackfedora

Thanks for replying, next time i break the system I'll give that a try. I decided to just to a fresh install preserving /home. About half way through installation I realized the problem was probably that i had been capitalizing ReiserFS. Sure enough, when I finished getting everything set up I checked and mounting worked when I used reiserfs as the filesystem type parameter.

Confusion is always the most honest response, and I'm a very honest person

#4 2009-08-14 22:06:38

perbh

oooops - sh** happens !!
And yes - *nix is very much a lower-case OS (or should that be 'os'?).
Unfortuneately - case pollution is sneaking in ...

Board footer