You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-15 16:42:17

flamelab

Are we going to have GNOME 2.28 betas in [testing] ?

It would be good to have them (like KDE in [kde-unstable]) in testing, since there are going to be some changes, like those regarding HAL, devicekit and the packagekit integration (which could cause problems, since most Arch users don't use packagekit).

I'm just asking smile

#2 2009-08-15 16:49:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Are we going to have GNOME 2.28 betas in [testing] ?

I have seen Jan committing packages to a [gnome-unstable] repo, although they do not appear to be pushed public yet (and I'm not sure if/when it will)

#3 2009-08-15 16:56:49

flamelab

It would be really good to see them in public, there are some changes (those I mentioned above) that need testing before (and I am curious for this last GNOME 2.x version too )

#4 2009-08-16 15:00:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Adding my voice in here. I'd like to help test/report. Though I AM aware that this would probably increase the dev's work significantly.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-08-16 23:15:17

Maledictvm

Yes, please make this happen. I'll gladly provide bug-reports and offer my help in testing several features.

#6 2009-08-18 08:25:47

JGC
Developer

Packages are on their way, but I don't expect to be done before the next beta is released. This new release includes some new things like pulseaudio, polkit and devicekit, so things are slowing down a bit. I might package the first version without pulse for now, as building a good pulse package takes too much time at this moment. I also want to upgrade gdm this time, which also needs massive changes.

#7 2009-08-18 10:28:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I agree that pulse can be left out. I use it personally, but it IS quite in-depth to include.

JGC, have you taken a look at some of the builds alex_anthony had? It mostly builds successfully, from this thread. Don't know if that's helpful, given as he did start off from your work to begin with.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2009-08-18 13:43:14

Nepherte

I'm kinda asking myself what's so "in depth to include" about pulseaudio? Is it the configuration, the other applications needing to be built with pulse support or something else?

#9 2009-08-18 14:04:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well, in the context of 'by default as part of Gnome', it needs to BE the default. That's where it all fell down with Ubuntu's initial Pulse offering (I suffered through that). Also, the .asoundrc needs setting, which I think is an alsa file. Pulse wants to take over ESD's old job, so apps still looking for ESD need to be presented with a binary which links to pulse. Stuff like that.

Also the app-specific stuff. Until the latest version audacity didn't work with Pulse. At all. In fact it was impossible using the Ubuntu repos to MAKE it work with Pulse, you'd have to recompile with Jack support and install pulse-module-jack (both sinks and sources would then have to be loaded). Flash initially was hit-and miss. The helper apps are needed (pavucontrol mainly, nowadays, but initially there was paman and padevchooser, both since deprecated), which Ubuntu, again, did not install. Things like mpd are not by default compiled for pulse, though they can easily be.

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup is a reasonably complete list. The Pulse devs (actually dev, it seems Lennart does most of the work, though I see Colin's fingerprints there too) have actually documented everything, but its not a quick job to do this integration.

#10 2009-08-18 14:47:48

JGC
Developer

The point with pulseaudio is that it pulls in a lot of extra dependencies, and that it should be done good, or not at all. Not something in between. I'm really interested in getting this working in the repos, but if it's something that slows me down a lot, I would rather include it in a later stage than in my initial gnome 2.27 packaging.

#11 2009-08-18 14:52:12

Nepherte

JGC wrote:

... and that it should be done good, or not at all. Not something in between. I'm really interested in getting this working in the repos, but if it's something that slows me down a lot, I would rather include it in a later stage than in my initial gnome 2.27 packaging.

Sounds like a good call to me. I'd be more than happy to test things out related to pulseaudio. I'm running pulseaudio pretty successfully for a while now.

#12 2009-08-18 14:57:16

flamelab

I think, if GNOME audio settings can "work" without the Pulseaudio, it shouldn't be included in the depends now if it slows things so much. It would be an extra layer of complexity.

First of all, we should think: Do we really need Pulseaudio ?
Then: Is Pulseaudio a dependency that without it we won't have GNOME audio settings working properly ?

If --> yes (" no audio without Pulseaudio) --> it should be included in dependencies
If --> no ("I have audio without Pulseaudio. I just use ALSA/OSS4") --> it shouldn't be. So it should be added as an optional dependency, instead of a dependency.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-08-18 14:57:47)

#13 2009-08-18 17:53:02

lucke

Pulseaudio is still very problematic for many people. I've tried it on three different sound cards and it caused problems on all of them, even without glitch-free playback.

#14 2009-08-18 21:47:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well, depends how closely we want to follow upstream, since upstream does 'bless' Pulseaudio as the official Gnome audio system, or something like that (AFAICT).

Pulse's devs are working to make Pulseaudio as transparent as possible, ie. apps think they're using ALSA most of the time (only Skype has a real problem with this, and more 'involved' software like the afore-mentioned Audacity). 0.9.16, just released, should be much more stable than the older versions.

But I concur, if it slows things down, don't bother. Its easy to setup anyway.

#15 2009-08-19 14:40:45

onestep_ua

JGC wrote:

I also want to upgrade gdm this time, which also needs massive changes.

Maybe you'll find my GDM and PolicyKit1 packages helpful.

Regarding PulseAudio - GNOME 2.26 already miss the "Sound Preferences" configuration tool, replaced by the PulseAudio configuration in mixer. AFAIR, gstreamer audio configuration support in GNOME is only left as a legacy one, so I vote for the PulseAudio, despite it still being a bit experimental... smile

Last edited by onestep_ua (2009-08-19 14:54:38)

#16 2009-08-21 00:29:11

descendent87

When will (or will it at all) the gnome-unstable repo be open for testers? Would like to give the new gnome a try (and +1 for pulseaudio)

#17 2009-09-03 19:44:06

Maledictvm

Anything? :-/

#18 2009-09-05 21:31:56

alex_anthony

I have a repo with GNOME 2.27.91 for i686

[gnome-devel]
Server = http://tjwallace.ca/arch-repo/i686/

Install the groups gnome-devel and gnome-extra-devel
Pulseaudio, devicekit, clutter, introspection and stuff are in there too.
have a look at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=613977

I also have a list of the changes I had to make from the 2.26 packages (other than merely version bumping)

I'm running 2.27.91 and it's working fine. Not that much different that I've seen yet

(300th post!)

Last edited by alex_anthony (2009-09-05 21:46:43)

#19 2009-09-08 04:27:19

flamelab

Yeah !

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79706

I hope we are going have x86_64 packages soon smile

Board footer