You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 21:48:27

dldiamond2

Filesystem remounted readonly

I am having a problem with my arch laptop system. This system was only installed a couple of days ago (its an HP G60) and I installed Arch 2009.08 and updated the system as necessary. The problem seems to be that the system will get an error before the system has been active for even 2 days. I am using EXT4 and the EXT4 gives some sort of error (I can't find it in the logs right now, I will post later if I find it) and then remounts the filesystem read-only. The system is useless at this point and must be restarted. The first restart will result in an unclean system and I have to fsck it then reboot again before it will run as expected. This has happened 3 times now within a week and it is very annoying to the point of the system being useless. I can't seem to find any other references to this on the arch forums. I saw one that suggested that I try putting pci=msi in the options when booting in grub but that didn't seem to do anything.

I tried remounting the filesystem as I saw it mentioned online but it just complains that the system is write protected and once again mounts it read-only.

Any ideas?

Daniel

#2 2009-08-18 21:50:37

dldiamond2

Re: Filesystem remounted readonly

Oh by the way, its 64 bit arch.

#3 2009-08-18 23:06:14

lucke

When it's mounted read-only, run fsck on it (fsck /dev/sdXY). When it's clean, you can remount it with "mount -o rw,remount /dev/sdXY". You should have the error in dmesg or kernel.log in /var/log. Perhaps your drive is failing - check with smartctl from the smartmontools package.

#4 2009-08-18 23:27:01

dldiamond2

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of doing the fsck without the reboot. I will have to try it the next time it gives me those errors. I will give the smartctl a try as well. I had the error from dmesg but when I rebooted I couldn't find it in the /var/log directory.

#5 2009-08-18 23:32:54

dldiamond2

Duh! I just realized that this message wouldn't have been saved because the system was read-only at the time.

Board footer