You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 11:32:04

warped

glibc static and development libraries ?

Hi *

Forgive me maybe silly question..
I'm trying to setup build environment for minimyth system. It is partially working but I'm receiving error related to mm gcc build.

For details pls see:
http://www.minimyth.org/forum/viewtopic … 089#p12089

As requirement for build environment I need glibc including static and development libraries.

I queried my Arch2009.8 and it has installed glibc, but there is no any reference to static and development glibc components.
Also I can't find such packages in Arch repositories.

So I have question: do 2009.8 have by default installed glibc static and development libraries ?. If not - how can I manage such install 

Thx in advance for help !

#2 2009-08-19 13:38:13

SiC

Re: glibc static and development libraries ?

The answer is no and no to your question. Glibc shipped by Arch should be the dynamically linked version of the libraries, and not static.  Arch also strips the debug symbols from all binaries, so there will be no debug data, one of the requirements for a development version.  You can build your own packages using ABS though which will contain this data.

#3 2009-08-19 15:55:32

warped

@SiC

Thanx for Your replay.

So I understand following:
-in Arch there is no by default glibc compiled with static & debug symbols (in fact sounds reasonable taking into account KISS approach)
-there is no install-ready glibc package for ppl like me who needs glibc with static/devel for development purposes (this is however v.strange for me taking intoaccout that user repo for arch contains 3500+ packages and devel is probably highly desirable by some in such crowdy app devels).

Do You believe have we pkgbuild ready for user compile of devel glibc - or I should play with compile options myself ?.
I'm asking as in AUR I didn't see any glibc entry designated for developers...

br

#4 2009-08-19 23:15:56

gnud

Well, it's assumed that if you need a static library with debug symbols you know enough to compile your own. Besides, if you need that kind of setup, you probably want to tweak configure flags etc. yourself, anyway.

#5 2009-08-22 17:18:49

warped

@gnud

Thx for replay.

I agree with Your statement, but unfortunately it not applies to my case.
I think needs for static glibc can come from 2 basic cases:
-someone is a developer and development approach assumes usage of static glibc
-someone is a user wanting to install app or prepare environment for app - and this app requires static glibc.

I think Your statement nicely addressing 1st case, but my case is 2nd.
I was trying recompile glibc for static version, but I'm receiving errors (in ABS I add export LDFLAGS="-static". Error is "/usr/bin/ld: attempted static link dynamic object" ).

As I have stable build environment for my app (based on Debian) and only reason to switch to Arch is Arch's KISS, slim and simplicity - I achieve state where I consider dump such switch. Reason is lack of static glibc and no hints from non-developer perspective how to progress with it :-(

BTW: In don't understand this: in /user/lib I see libc.a and libc.so. I understand libc.a is static version of glibc, so why @SiC stating that Arch hasn't static glibc ?
If libc.a it is not-fully functional static glibc - how can I compile fully functional one ?

Anyway - if nobody is willing to pointing me how to produce such lib nor himself enrich Arch packages base with static glibc - I will consider this thread as useless.

Also - if this forum is wrong place to ask such questions - pls hint where I should move...

br

#6 2009-08-25 09:13:37

warped

bump !!!

Board footer