You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 15:06:54

gapo
Website

Alternate method of installation

Hi,
I am a linux enthusiast cum student. I already installed Arch on my laptop. Learned loads. Then, suddenly one fine day had to format my laptop because of a service problem. I lost all of my Arch settings . However, I copied by /pkg to a backup drive.

The problem is now I want to reinstall Arch. All of my packages are now so old. (nearly 4 months ). I have a very poor connection at home ( ~0.26 Mb/s ) . I would be running KDE and Openbox, a couple of common applications ... all leading to a download of aroud 5-6 GB if done anew . Considering my backup of previous pkgs I would still be leading around 3 GB at the least.

I'm pretty lazy and don't want to do it all again. Can somebody suggest me ...

a way to install arch without wasting time downloading all the packages ... which takes a long time considering my bandwidth

I'm running a Core 2 duo processor with Windows 7 and a fundamental Arch upon it right now ...
Have all the RAM ~ 3 GB and disk space ~ 150 GB free.

I'm reasonably competent and ok with coding. Can configure any app mostly.
I am running Virtualbox too.

Arch has so far answered all of my wishes ...
Plz make it answer this one too tongue

Thanks

Last edited by gapo (2009-08-19 17:15:02)

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

#2 2009-08-19 16:50:25

Chrysalis

Re: Alternate method of installation

Take your laptop to work/school or some place with a fast internet?

Rolling distro and slow internet dont quite mix well if you cant roll. Might wanna look at something static like debian.

btw, i think you mean 0.26Mb/s (2MB a min)... 0.26MB/s is not slow at all (15MBs a minute)

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-08-19 17:11:42)

#3 2009-08-19 17:11:20

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

do a netinstall and setup your own mirror with all packages you have.  (You better have the complete 'base' group)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#4 2009-08-19 17:15:04

XFire

There is an option to download packages in the background, so you could run it at night when nobody else is using the internet, then it is updated.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#5 2009-08-19 17:18:24

gapo
Website

@ Chrysalis : yup .. Its 0.26 Mb/s ... I always mix this up . Thanks .Something static never fit me enough smile

@Dieter@be : I'll check out netinstall .

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

Board footer