You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 18:33:08

celestialorb

Odd Output of "GRUB" over and over after trying to boot from USB stick

Recently I decided to give my computer a system makeover, and this time I was going to attempt to install Arch through a USB stick, however after trying to boot off of the USB stick the computer outputs "GRUB" over and over onto the screen.  I tried googling to see if anyone else had encountered this problem, but the closest thing I could find was one instance of "GRUB" followed by a flashing cursor.  Mine just repetitively outputs "GRUB" onto the screen.

Anyone have any idea of what's wrong?  I mean, does GRUB even come into play at all here?  I'm just trying to boot the installation image off of my USB stick.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by celestialorb (2009-08-19 18:39:46)

#2 2009-08-19 20:28:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Odd Output of "GRUB" over and over after trying to boot from USB stick

Perhaps the USB flash device has an incorrect .img downloaded.

Grub is encountered in order for the install program to reach root prompt for arch install.

Check the md5 for the flash contents.

Or, redownload and try again.

Be certain to use dd.......of=/dev/sdx ... and not /dev/sdxx.

This use of dd will cause a grub error.........dd.......................of=/dev/sdxx.

So you can reburn the flash device with the correct output file(no partition specifics), just /dev/sdx................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer