You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 13:59:27

Kruppe

stumpwm and stability in an office setting

I have used awesome (the window manager) for a fairly long time, and while it is quite good constantly changing my config file is not very pleasant. I use emacs a lot and I am fairly competent with lisp so I thought of using stumpwm. I have also considered using Xmonad although the prospect of working haskel is kind of pushing me away from that (being that I have no experience with Haskel).

From what I hear stumpwm used to be fairly unstable, lots of crashing etc. Has this improved? Is it stable enough to use as a main window manager in an office setting? If not I guess I will go with Xmonad as from what I hear it is much more stable.

Thanks for any help provided,

Kruppe

#2 2009-08-20 20:48:08

Theomachos
Website

Re: stumpwm and stability in an office setting

Hm...
I think it's not a good idea to use Stumpwm in an office setting. It's really cool, but far from stable.
If you really want to use it, I'd recommend using clisp-new-clx (AUR). SBCL crashes more often, at least on my PC. (That's why I made the PKGBUILD wink )
Avoid using the mode-line ! Afaik it's responsible for most crashes.

P.S.: Do I have to mention that you should use the stable release ? smile Git-version can be a pain in the......

Last edited by Theomachos (2009-08-20 20:49:35)

There is one thing even more vital to science than intelligent methods; and that is, the sincere desire to find out the truth, whatever it may be.
Charles S. Peirce

#3 2009-08-20 21:19:48

Kruppe

I heard most of the crashes in SBCL is from compiling SBCL with threading. The version of SBCL I'm using has been compiled without threading so I was hoping I would be fine...

If thats not the reason though I will probably just go for the stable version of awesome at work, and just lock it at a specific version so that I don't have to change the configs every couple weeks.

That is of course, after I test out xmonad to see if it suits my needs.

#4 2009-08-21 01:10:14

Hrod beraht

Is it just the Lisp-ness of Stumpwm that's attracting you, or the general operation/functionality? I ask because if you simply like the interface (or lack of it ), but need a bit more stability, you might consider Ratpoison. The two are really similar in day-to-day operation (i.e. Stumpwm is basically Ratpoison redone in Lisp). Ratpoison is rock-steady and easily one of the most stable window managers I've ever used.

Bob

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2009-08-21 01:16:20)

#5 2009-08-21 01:44:51

Kruppe

The attraction to stumpwm over other tiling window managers pretty much comes down to the lisp-ness, I love fooling around with lisp.

In the end however if it's not stable (when I'm not actively breaking it) then I can't really use it at work. A crash is pretty much unacceptable.

In regards to ratpoison, I will take a closer look at it. Perhaps I will change my mind about what I want.

#6 2009-08-21 02:40:03

pauldonnelly

Kruppe wrote:

I heard most of the crashes in SBCL is from compiling SBCL with threading. The version of SBCL I'm using has been compiled without threading so I was hoping I would be fine...

But then you get no Swank server.

#7 2009-08-21 11:15:04

Kruppe

That kind of sucks...

What about clisp? How does it fare?

#8 2009-08-21 21:42:59

Kruppe

I've since been fiddling with xmonad, and I notice that with focus follows mouse turned on, when I create a new window the window under the mouse gets selected instead of the window that I have just created. Pretty irritating, Anyone know how to solve that?

Board footer