You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 03:51:30

gabscic

man pages (search functionallity) and pacman (yes to all) doubts

Hail, people. I've got some simple (I think) questions about 'man' and 'pacman':

1) Regarding the man pages, there is always a time when I need to read a certain text that I know is in the page, but I do not know exactly where. Thus, a search functionallity would sure come in handy. My question is: is there such a funcionallity in the man pages? If so, how can I use such functionallity?

2) Concerning pacman, I first had this kind of trouble when I was installing kde. Being a group instead of a single package, when one tries to install kde, pacman will ask if you want to install the whole group. Well, I chose 'no' for the sake of testing my X server configuration first. However, I was then presented with an individual question for every single one of the packages in the kde group as to wether I wanted to install it or not (about 200 questions I had to answer individually). So, my question here is: is there a way to choose a 'yes to all' or 'no to all' answer to pacman questions?

Thanks in advance for any help...

#2 2009-08-21 04:21:06

Acecero

Re: man pages (search functionallity) and pacman (yes to all) doubts

1) To search for specific information within a man page, you enter a forward slash then by a search term, e.g. I want to search for the word "page," I would enter "/page" within the man page and you can press "n" several times to find the other instances of "page."

2) You already have the option to say "yes to all" packages, just hit enter and install all the packages within the group, as for "no to all," you would use ctrl-z to stop pacman from running.

Last edited by Acecero (2009-08-21 04:24:20)

Board footer