You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 04:29:44

londy

Lockups with Nvidia GeForce 8200

I need help trying to figure out why my computer keeps locking up. My computer locks up within a few hours to a few days. 9 out of 10 times it locks up when I'm playing a video. The other times it seemed like it locked up when I was just simply moving the mouse. When it locks up, the entire screen displays one single color (blue or black or green or white or etc). The mouse and keyboard are dead (no lights). I cannot gain access via ssh. The power light and fans keeps running. I can push the reset button and it'll reboot normally.

I'm running Arch64 with the nvidia driver (185.18.31-1) but I've had the same problem in Ubuntu and Fedora. I have a ECS 8200A motherboard (onboard Nvidia GeForce 8200) and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e.

I've tried the following solutions I found thru Google searches:

-Reset cmos

-Gave nvida and hda intel their own irq's

-Tried several kernel parameters including:
*idle=poll
*maxcpus=1
*all combos of noapic, irqpoll, and pci=routeirq
*noapic pci=assign-busses apicmaintimer idle=poll reboot=cold,hard
*noapic nolapic

-Changed "init display first" in bios from "pci" to "onboard"

-Ran memtest86+ for 12 hours with no problems

-Ran mprime for 2 hours with no problems

-Updated BIOS to latest version

-Disabled all unused devices in BIOS, CPU/PCI spread spectrum, and Cool 'n Quiet.

-Tried the beta version of nvidia module

-Tried adjusting the cpu voltage in the BIOS but that made my computer unbootable

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions??

#2 2009-08-21 05:00:50

AdrenalineJunky

Re: Lockups with Nvidia GeForce 8200

are you using the propriatary drivers? just for sake of troubleshooting you could always try enabling the open-source ones and see if the problem still exists.

i know nvidia's drivers have had off and on issues with memory leaks causing system crashes, dunno if that could be whats causing it, but if it is, it was there in some releases and not others, might be worth a shot trying a different driver version.

#3 2009-08-21 06:42:15

londy

AdrenalineJunky wrote:

are you using the propriatary drivers? just for sake of troubleshooting you could always try enabling the open-source ones and see if the problem still exists.

i know nvidia's drivers have had off and on issues with memory leaks causing system crashes, dunno if that could be whats causing it, but if it is, it was there in some releases and not others, might be worth a shot trying a different driver version.

The 8200 doesn't work with the open-source "nv" driver. I've tried the beta version of the proprietary nvidia drivers and the 173 version--didn't work. I guess I could try the "vesa" driver tonight and see if my computer still crashes.

#4 2009-08-22 01:42:00

londy

Okay, so I tried the "vesa" driver and it passed my test. My test is simply playing a movie continously overnight. For the first time the movie was still playing when I woke up this morning. Previously, the "nvidia" driver failed 5 nights in a row with the one-colored-screen-of-death.

I'll try playing around with the options for nvidia in xorg.conf. Any input would be appreciated.

#5 2009-08-22 03:44:20

AdrenalineJunky

there is some stuff about xorf configuration and driver tweaking in the wiki

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

#6 2009-09-04 07:54:45

londy

I tried out a bunch of xorg and kernel options but none of them worked.

I decided to install Arch32 along side Arch64 for testing purposes. At first I installed xfce just like Arch64 and it locked up like usual. Then I tried kde and it passed my movie-test! Then I tried kde on Arch64 but it  failed my test.

So for some reason Arch32 + kde = stable, or at least more stable.

Board footer