You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 21:54:29

Mardoct

Use Arch Linux Disc Just For GRUB?

I already installed Arch linux, and have it up and running just fine. I have a second hard drive that has no partitions or uses as of yet. Would it be possible for me to install Windows on /sdb, install GRUB with the Arch disk to /sda, uncomment out the WIndows entry in the GRUB .conf file, and get a working dualboot?

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#2 2009-08-21 22:42:34

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Use Arch Linux Disc Just For GRUB?

Yeah, that should work (although if you already have Arch installed, I don't understand why you would want to re-install GRUB and Arch). Just make sure that you configure the proper boot order in your BIOS and that GRUB's Windows entry specifies the right disk.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-08-21 22:47:30

Mardoct

That's the thing, I'm not reinstalling Arch, just using the install CD's GRUB installer. The question is if the CD can be used, without the installation process, to overwrite the Windows boot loader.

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#4 2009-08-21 22:52:59

AdrenalineJunky

#5 2009-08-21 23:16:01

Mardoct

Ah, thanks.

#6 2009-08-21 23:18:16

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Let's clarify exactly what you want to do.

My understanding at this point is that sda is the main boot disk and that you currently have GRUB and Arch installed on it. You want to install Windows on sdb and you think that you have to overwrite GRUB on sda during the boot process to get Windows to boot properly. You therefore want to know how you can restore GRUB on sda after a successful installation of Windows on sdb.

If that's not the case, please clarify further.

If that is the case, then I don't think you need to do it that way. Set sdb to the main boot disk and then install Windows and the Windows boot loader normally on sdb. Once that's done, reset the main boot disk to sda and then edit GRUB to chainload sdb. This way you do not need to faff about with the Windows boot loader later if you decide to boot directly into Windows at a later date. The Windows installation remains independent on its own disk which is the easiest way to dualboot imo.

As for your question about installing GRUB from the liveCD, I think your actual question is whether you can overwrite the MBR of sda with GRUB from the liveCD (which is not the same as "installing" GRUB). I think you can by jumping to that step in the setup, but I am not sure and I suggest that you wait for confirmation from someone else who is.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-08-21 23:19:11)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#7 2009-08-21 23:24:03

Mardoct

Yes, that is what I wanted to do. I'll try out your advice, sounds solid.

Board footer