You are not logged in.

#76 2009-12-31 18:04:52

farvardin
Website

Re: larch-7 testing

I've tried Larch in another virtual machine, and it hadn't this kind of error. I'll try to remove every configuration file related to larch and install it again, probably it's a problem in my 1st system.

Btw, it seems pyqt should be a dependency of larch.

#77 2009-12-31 21:20:17

firecat53
Website

I reposted my question regarding intel KMS here. I still think it's something to do with the boot process from a flash drive, because I did get early-start KMS enabled on this machine with a normal up-to-date hard drive install.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2009-12-31 21:20:57)

#78 2010-01-01 18:44:09

gradgrind

I hope the latest version of larch (7.0.108) will work without kernel26-headers.

And, in my opinion, it is correct that pyqt is not a dependency of larch (it is an optional dependency of uipi) because larch can also run with a command line interface.

#79 2010-01-01 21:18:58

firecat53
Website

Another question for you -- can I safely run /opt/larch/session-save/shutdown2 or something similar to periodically save my session without having to do a restart. I'm thinking about something I could toss into a cron job, since I sometimes run a larch session for most of day, and I'd hate to lose some of my changes if someone came by and yanked my flash drive out (ok, this could still happen if the filesystem gets hosed, but 1 prob at a time smile ) before I had shutdown and saved the session. Hopefully my question makes sense!

Thanks!
Scott

#80 2010-01-02 12:49:19

gradgrind

Well I think it might be possible but I haven't designed the system with this in mind and I wouldn't recommend it. One potential problem is data corruption because of file changes during the save process - which is much less likely during shutdown (after all processes have been killed).

In your situation I think it might be much better to put your data (say, a home directory, or a data directory) on a separate partition on the device (or even on the boot partition if it is suitably formatted), so that your data is not actually part of the live system. You can make a persistent /etc/fstab (see the docs) so that a partition is always mounted at boot.

#81 2010-01-02 18:50:23

firecat53
Website

That's kind of what I thought....thanks for the reply!

Scott

#82 2010-01-03 19:42:03

Amnon82
Website

Lately I got this in the installation page:

[phil@philstv-desktop live-scripts2]$ ./4-build-gui*
(12289) KIconCache::Private::themeDirsChanged: Theme directory has been modified
(12289): Couldn't create index file "/var/tmp/kdecache-phil/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index"
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 525, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 477, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "./system/larch/larch.py", line 611, in ltstart
    logline(line)
  File "./system/larch/larch.py", line 615, in logline
    ui.logger.addLine(line)
  File "/home/phil/DEV/live-scripts2/system/larch/modules/gui.py", line 182, in addLine
    line = line.decode(self.encoding, "replace").encode("UTF8")
AttributeError: Logger instance has no attribute 'encoding'

Falls alarm. I did a export LANG=en_US instead of export LANG=en_US.utf-8

Last edited by Amnon82 (2010-01-03 19:48:34)

visit chakra-project.org to get latest Chakra GNU/Linux

#83 2010-01-05 14:27:41

gradgrind

firecat53 wrote:

Well, I got a normal hard drive install with an intel 82854 graphic card to boot with 'late start' KMS by default, with the stock kernel and driver from the repo (early start wouldn't work). Neither the install on the flash drive, with the same kernel/driver, or the larch install will use KMS at all (early or late).  Weird. I don't know enough about the boot sequence to know if booting from a flash drive would affect the setting of KMS somehow. Any ideas?

Scott

I just built an 'xmini' profile on USB-stick and on my eeepc (intel 945) KMS seems to work.

#84 2010-01-05 22:53:02

Amnon82
Website

Michael, I just tried to use Larch7 gui in kdemod-testing 4.3.85. All dialogs gave me this errors:

[phil@x1-6-00-1d-92-09-78-eb live-scripts2]$ sudo ./4-build-gui*                 
 > checking ...                                                                  

> preparing ... done                                                            
Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-phil" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.           
(18541) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from  "/var/tmp/kdecache-phil/ksycoca4"
Error: "/tmp/kde-phil" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.                                       
QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread                                       
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2                                         
QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.                         
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x1ee5e20), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                      
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x1ee6750), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                      
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x1ee6750), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                      
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x1ee5e20), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                      
QObject::installEventFilter(): Cannot filter events for objects in a different thread.                          
(Parent is Oxygen::LabelEngine(0x1ee9f20), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                            
QObject::installEventFilter(): Cannot filter events for objects in a different thread.                          
(Parent is Oxygen::LabelEngine(0x1ee9f20), parent's thread is QThread(0x1e19370), current thread is Input(0x1e1d970)                                                                                                            
kfilemodule(18541)/kio (bookmarks) KBookmarkManager::KBookmarkManager: starting KDirWatch for  "/home/phil/.local/share//user-places.xbel"                                                                                      
kfilemodule(18541)/kio (KDirListerCache) KDirListerCache::listDir: Listing directory: KUrl("trash:/")           
QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread                     
QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread                     
 > checking ...

> preparing ... done
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x17dbfc0), parent's thread is QThread(0x170e380), current thread is Input(0x1713970)
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x17dc920), parent's thread is QThread(0x170e380), current thread is Input(0x1713970)
(Parent is Oxygen::WidgetStateEngine(0x17dc920), parent's thread is QThread(0x170e380), current thread is Input(0x1713970)
./4-build-gui.sh: Zeile 55: 18639 Beendet                 ./system/larch/larch.py
 > checking ...

> preparing ... done

Using kdemod-4.3.4 all is fine. Seems when kde sc 4.4 is comming you need to update your code for qt-4.6.0

visit chakra-project.org to get latest Chakra GNU/Linux

#85 2010-01-06 06:51:02

gradgrind

Thanks for the warning, but I'll wait till it hits 'extra' before trying to fix it.

#86 2010-01-15 00:28:57

rdmelin

The docs indicate that larchin for larch-7 is not yet complete. Is this still the case?

#87 2010-01-15 08:43:06

gradgrind

rdmelin wrote:

The docs indicate that larchin for larch-7 is not yet complete. Is this still the case?

I'm afraid this is still the case - real life is keeping me quite occupied at the moment ...
(if there's any python programmer out there who fancies a challenge, please let me know - the main missing piece is the partitioning/formatting/mount-point allocation).

Actually it's a bit of a shame that larch and chakra can't share an installer, but I think they're pretty fixed on c++/kde/qt and I'm pretty fixed on an interpreted approach (and I don't want to be tied to kde).

Last edited by gradgrind (2010-01-15 08:47:01)

#88 2010-01-16 21:29:57

firecat53
Website

I hope this is a silly questions, but cron doesn't seem to save any changes from crontab -e, either for root or as a user within two different larch installs. I have two other non-larch Arch installs, and cron works normally. Am I missing something obvious why it won't work? (Yes, crond is running -- started through rc.conf and tried restarting several times.) I can manually edit /var/spool/cron/<user> , restart cron and it works fine. Why would crontab -e not work with larch?

Thanks!
Scott

#89 2010-01-18 08:19:22

gradgrind

firecat53 wrote:

I hope this is a silly questions, but cron doesn't seem to save any changes from crontab -e, either for root or as a user within two different larch installs. I have two other non-larch Arch installs, and cron works normally. Am I missing something obvious why it won't work? (Yes, crond is running -- started through rc.conf and tried restarting several times.) I can manually edit /var/spool/cron/<user> , restart cron and it works fine. Why would crontab -e not work with larch?

Thanks!
Scott

I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with cron. Could you tell me where the relevant files get saved? larch doesn't save some stuff in /var, so maybe I need to change something?

#90 2010-01-18 17:49:18

firecat53
Website

The cron files for the users are in /var/spool/cron. The permissions are 600, root:root for 'root' and 600 root:user for 'user'. The package is actually called dcron. I've looked at all the file permissions on both my larch and regular systems, and they're all correct. The $EDITOR variable is set in both cases. The crontab -e command edits just fine, but as soon as you exit the editor, the changes are gone. Very weird!

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. By the way I figured out the KMS issue I asked about earlier for intel cards -- Apparently there's  a conflict with the nouveau-drm packages and the intel package. Other people might run into this if they use the 'group' install for all of the video drivers. You have to remove the nouveau and nouveau-dri packages. I installed nvidia instead, but I haven't had time to boot it again using that on both an intel and nvidia machine to test it out. There's a bug in the tracker that describes the problem.

Edit: It seems to work ok booting up with the nvidia drivers on both the intel and nvidia machines. When I installed nvidia, I used bauerbill with the --abs option to install nvidia-utils and change the 'provides (libgl)' to provides (libgl=7.7) as most of the video drivers depend on libgl=7.7 and it wouldn't install otherwise. Hopefully that won't cause any problems with the other video drivers!

Last edited by firecat53 (2010-01-18 18:42:13)

#91 2010-01-19 11:47:18

gradgrind

firecat53 wrote:

The cron files for the users are in /var/spool/cron. The permissions are 600, root:root for 'root' and 600 root:user for 'user'. The package is actually called dcron. I've looked at all the file permissions on both my larch and regular systems, and they're all correct. The $EDITOR variable is set in both cases. The crontab -e command edits just fine, but as soon as you exit the editor, the changes are gone. Very weird!

I'm afraid I can't confirm that on a larch system here. I did a quick crontab -e (as root, and I used VISUAL=mcedit to avoid having to use vi, which infuriates me) and the result was saved in /var/spool/cron, and was still there after a reboot with session-save. Could you give more details of when your problem arises?

#92 2010-01-24 21:28:43

fiod

Hi!

I have been using larch for some time now, for an interesting university project.

Thank you very much for the great work!
Its amazing, and really interesting investigating...

A few things bother me:

1. I've installed my larch (5.3) on a 2GB usb disk. Now I want to copy it to a 8GB usb disk, and found no convenient way to
do so (actually no way at all) - perhaps someone can direct me?

2. I've downloaded larch7 today - as I wanted to simply create a new 8GB larch, and copy the overlay file to it.
But I don't have my USB disk with me - and I would like to make an .iso file (or whatever) and copy it to the usb disk later -
is there some quick way to do so?

3. I've noticed that I got some overlay~ files left on my USB disk, and I've tweaked the shutdown script
so that it will erase those files - this might prove useful for other users as well.

Again - thanks a lot for a great job!

fiod

Last edited by fiod (2010-01-25 06:21:09)

#93 2010-01-26 13:21:00

gradgrind

fiod wrote:

1. I've installed my larch (5.3) on a 2GB usb disk. Now I want to copy it to a 8GB usb disk, and found no convenient way to
do so (actually no way at all) - perhaps someone can direct me?

I don't know if you'd call this convenient, but you can copy over the contents and then reinstall the bootloader - see the appropriate instructions for grub or syslinux. Bear in mind that you'll need to change the config file if you are using LABEL or UUID medium detection.

fiod wrote:

2. I've downloaded larch7 today - as I wanted to simply create a new 8GB larch, and copy the overlay file to it.
But I don't have my USB disk with me - and I would like to make an .iso file (or whatever) and copy it to the usb disk later -
is there some quick way to do so?
fiod

Probably not so very quick. Again you can copy over the contents and reinstall the bootloader - but there might need to be one or two other tweaks (such as adding the file larch/save to enable session-saving).

#94 2010-01-31 19:24:34

Stythys
Website

syth larch > ./larch.py -c
***** This error could not be handled *****
  File "./larch.py", line 666, in <module>
    command.run()
  File "./larch.py", line 139, in run
    self.pageswitch(0)
  File "./larch.py", line 144, in pageswitch
    ui.docviewer.gohome(doc_home[index])
AttributeError: Ui instance has no attribute 'docviewer'

Press <Enter> to continue
Error in sys.excepthook:
  File "./larch.py", line 546, in errorTrap
    ui.error(etext, _("This error could not be handled"), fatal=True)
  File "/opt/larch/modules/console.py", line 137, in error
    assert False
AssertionError

Original exception was:
  File "./larch.py", line 666, in <module>
    command.run()
  File "./larch.py", line 139, in run
    self.pageswitch(0)
  File "./larch.py", line 144, in pageswitch
    ui.docviewer.gohome(doc_home[index])
AttributeError: Ui instance has no attribute 'docviewer'

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#95 2010-02-01 08:50:39

gradgrind

I should have fixed that now. I've also added other recent updates, mostly a reformatting of the docs.

Last edited by gradgrind (2010-02-01 14:57:01)

#96 2010-02-01 20:03:43

Stythys
Website

syth larch > ./larch.py -c create_iso
+Working ...
LOG: # Preparing boot directory, boot.
***** larch: root pw *****
Please enter root password: 
LOG: >rm -rf /home/uzume/.larch/cd/{boot,grub,syslinux,isolinux}
LOG: @0
LOG: >cp -r /opt/larch/cd-root/grub0 /home/uzume/.larch/cd/grub
LOG: :-cp: cannot create directory `/home/uzume/.larch/cd/grub': No such file or directory
LOG: @1
LOG: >cp -rf /home/syth/.config/larch/working_dir/MyProfiles/default/cd-root/grub /home/uzume/.larch/cd
LOG: :-cp: cannot create directory `/home/uzume/.larch/cd': No such file or directory
LOG: @1
+ ... Completed

why isn't it able to create directories?

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#97 2010-02-02 15:16:04

gradgrind

It looks to me like the 'cd' directory (/home/uzume/.larch/cd) didn't get created at the 'larchify' stage. Did you check the output of your larchify command for errors?

#98 2010-02-02 17:24:33

Stythys
Website

I get a 'no kernel found' error when I try and larchify

-- Bregol

#99 2010-02-03 08:40:55

gradgrind

I suppose there is a kernel installed, in which case please check that you have the latest version of larch. Incidentally, is there any reason you are using the command line rather than the gui?

And please give a complete run-down of the steps you have taken which led up to the problem appearing, it makes it much easier for me to diagnose.

#100 2010-02-03 18:42:28

Stythys
Website

there's not much steps to reproduce, I just start up larch and go to the larchify process, which fails...and I am using the GUI to get the no kernel error, since command line doesn't even give an error.

-- Bregol

Board footer