You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-04 03:01:32

nacnud

i586 install worth the effort?

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to install Arch on my desktop, which has a 600mhz Via chip.  It wouldn't work with the regular Arch iso disk, so I'm assuming this is considered an i586 machine.  I see an i586 folder on the nethat mirror--does that mean that this architecture is supported?  Or is it not worth the effort to use Arch on such a machine?

Thanks.

#2 2004-11-04 03:56:14

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: i586 install worth the effort?

I got arch running on a 586...don't really use it, it was more of an experiment... It runs ok, you dont have anything in the extra repo, but you can get a good system running off of current. Using X...well...works...but it's fairly slow for me, your results could vary.
I installed using the set of floppies and thus ftp. I had to drop into vi and edit the install script and/or associated files (so i really dont remember) to point at the right place on the server, but that was a while ago, I'm not aware of what progress has been made since then.  It's not really all too painful a process. Certainly a satisfying experience  :twisted: I promise

Any questions don't be afraid to PM me, I'm likely to be able to help if you get stuck.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#3 2004-11-05 15:37:14

sarah31
Website

if you look at the archives of the mail list there is a pre0.7beta i586 iso. you can install with that and i believe that there is also info on the mail list that has links to a i586 repo for current only (you will have to build the extra stuff yourself). the last time i looked the i586 repo was staying up to date.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-11-05 23:39:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

As it stands, my i586 hardware is hosed.  I could start building i586 again if someone could send me a case, power supply, motherboard, and cpu...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-11-06 00:07:46

sarah31
Website

i could but i may need to use it at work.

i would also need some cash for the comp and shipping covered tongue

(it does have a use to me so it has a value)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-11-17 03:26:30

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Preferably i586s, but i686s building with -march=i586 could work as well.

I don't need any hard drives, I actually have enough of those.

I'm pretty sure the memory isn't a problem either... I was just being safe.

The current build system isn't written to handle more than one actual build box.  This will be fixed when I have time (right now time is at a minimum, what with the end of the semester coming up).

Please email me at jason@archlinux.org to get my shipping address, I will gladly accept your donation smile

Thanks!

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2005-03-05 11:10:30

combo

Hi! (Sorry for my bad English)

Archlinux is my favourite distro, I'm using it on my i586. But unfortunately this CPU is not really supported: too few package was made for it, and the existing packages are quite outdated.
I have 2 questions:
1. The development for i586 will be continued or not? (Nothing has happened for 1/2 year)
2. If you've got enough disk-space on your servers, a homepage for i586 packages made by Arch-users would be nice. I could help us (if needed), too:
Tetex 3.0, Firefox 1.0, xfce 4.2.0, xpdf, gqview, beep-media-player, axel ... and other musthave progz have already worked on my Arch-0.7-beta. The huge ones were stolen from other (usually slackware-based) i586-distros (for example, it was really difficult to find firefox 1.0 compiled for i586), the small ones were compiled by me. Personally, I don't want to change to other distro, because Arch is fast and has a really good package management and build system. I think that i586 users (like me) could help each other by sharing their working packages.

#8 2005-03-05 19:50:15

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I actually received two i586s from a very generous donator.  I haven't yet buckled down and got i586 going again.  I don't expect it'll happen soon.

If anyone is interested in getting something going based on the current packages, I'm sure you could get me interested again wink

- Blaise Pascal

Board footer