You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-25 09:12:33

andrewzorn

Colemak, G9 Mouse, hwinfo

pretty much just got arch but no window manager yet because ive been searching these two for HOURS.

colemak keyboard layout.  ive only been on it for 3 days but i feel like the hours i spent in arch qwerty just erased it all.  i have no idea how to install.  everyone says 'colemak' is in pacman and when i try to install it is not there... on their site they have a 'vim' file... ?  they say x installs it by default.  i have x and did the "...xkeyb..." command or something but after startx it is still qwerty.  i want colemak in the terminal too, anyway.  i would not mind manually defining it.  i am just very very frustrated, typing out long stuff worse than a 3yr old (so please excuse the poor grammar here i am very tired)... apparently i have evolved to colemak pretty easily.

logitech g9 mouse.  every time i start x mouse doesnt work.  if i go back to console it says "logitech g9 mouse: failed to initialize for axes" or something.  googling the exact message (in lynx, back on windows now, to explain) gave nothing.  eventually found a guy who said after x update, the lights on mouse flashed (like mine) but no mention of console error.  he unplugs mouse from a POWERED HUB and straight into comp and it works fine.  same thing 'fixed' it for me.  but this makes no sense.  plenty of power in hub, works in windows... this really sucks.  to further complicate, the error message is still there even when i get mouse to work.  messed with xorg very little as ive never had anything but trouble with it since i started my dabbling in linux years ago with ubuntu.

last thing, hwinfo.  everyone, incl arch users, seem to get hires in console by getting their vid cards framebuffer codes with hwinfo.  hwinfo doesnt appear to be in arch repos.  i really want 1920x1200 console.  if this would spit out the same list as arch does when you give it a bad hex code... because i have achieved 1600x1200 with this... then i guess this would be of no use.

thanks guys and sorry again for the typing but i am very sick of it right now

#2 2009-08-25 11:50:02

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Colemak, G9 Mouse, hwinfo

The sad thing is that usb hubs are broken by design. Lots of devices don't work with them, and the problem is not always power.

Edit: hwinfo is in aur

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-08-25 12:31:16)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-08-25 13:57:48

lucke

Copy keymap file from colemak's site to /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/ and run "loadkeys colemak.iso15.kmap" to have it in virtual consoles. In X run "setxkbmap colemak".

#4 2009-08-26 01:43:50

andrewzorn

OK, the Colemak thing worked (eventually, couldn't figure it out for a while).

USB hubs broken by design?  I do not get this.  The comp has internal USB hubs and Windows seems to be able to use it fine.

I keep seeing stuff on AUR but I have still not figured out what it is (Arch User Repository?).  Why can't I just add it to some sort of list?

Also, I am VERY confused on the mirrorlist file.  Seems like more than half don't work at times and I have to keep switching them.  And it is just a Source= line, still don't get how it determines whether it is core/extra etc.

Board footer