You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-26 01:32:08

bpladirector

Older version of Arch

Hello all, I am relatively new to linux wrt to time spent using Linux, but have dabbled with it over the years out of curiosity.  I am intrigued about the idea of Arch Linux and so wanted to try it out using virtualbox (I am such a "newbie" that only a few days ago had it been since i first tried using a virtual machine for anything).  I have a virtualbox vm being hosted on Windows XP, but cannot get past something called "udev" when loading the current edition of Arch (the edition that is offered via torrent).

Is it possible that I may have better luck using an edition of Arch Linux that has an older kernel?  I think that I read something about 2.6.30 having issues with virtualbox.

The reason I wish to sue virtualbox, is that I would like to get the hang of installing Arch.  I have read that it is/can be difficult for Linux users with little experience (Eg.  I could install Sidux and mess around with smxi script but could not figure out how to get my wireless networking to work).

Anyways, thank you for any consideration; I am simply experimenting and do not require immediate help.

#2 2009-08-26 02:21:29

LeoSolaris

Re: Older version of Arch

The only old Arch core install (which is what your looking for, the ftp/netinstall will just pull in the latest packages) I have left as an ISO is the 2009.02-x86_64 (64-bit version)

If you're using 64-bit you're welcome to it, I can drop it into dropbox and give you the link.

I have a couple of old core 32-bits but they are burned already, and I am not 100% sure where they are in the house.

I believe there is a kernel in the AUR that is set up for VBox.  Maybe it was VMWare, I am not sure.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#3 2009-08-26 02:41:31

sHyLoCk

bpladirector

Can you tell us the exact error message you are getting? Have you already managed to get past the setup or can't boot into the setup?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#4 2009-08-26 03:10:13

bpladirector

Ya im jsut loading the disck using virtualbox and after slecting the livecd, I get to this point (only takes a few seconds)

:  : Loading initramfs
:  :Loading Hook [archiso-early]
:  :Loading [udev]
:  :Loading udev...

From my searching on google this seems to be a common occurrence (apparently the kernel being 2.6.30 might be a factor).

Perhaps I am missing a setting in virtualbox.  Anyways I will explore this issue for a week or so (have other distros to test, but I do like the ideas behind Arch), and make another serious attempt later.  Maybe I'll just try installing it without visualization.

Ok, well cya guys I'll do some reading on this (still have to go over the installation guide).

#5 2009-08-26 07:03:30

sant527

I had also the same problem, after I upgraded to the kernel 2.6.30, it started getting stuck up at udev. But recently I heard that kernel 2.6.30 also works fine

#6 2009-08-26 14:04:16

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

It should work with the latest version of vbox.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2009-08-26 23:53:52

bpladirector

I managed to install Arch using vmware instead of virtualbox (anyone having problems with virtualbox should try vmware).  Hopefully in a while from now I'll know enough about what I want in my system to make some important decisions regarding its composition (and then install without virtuallization).  For now I am still installing KDE as I accidentally installed KDE in its entirety.

For those interested in using virtualbox, the next release (I believe it is called 3.06) is supposed to address the kernel problem.

#8 2009-08-26 23:56:00

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

I have everything back to the initial release...

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

Board footer