You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-26 14:48:05

Profjim

mutt and slrnpull'd / nntp datastore

I use slrnpull to slurp down some mailing list archives from gmane --- lists that I occasionally want to browse but don't want to subscribe to. It's also useful for getting back-archives of lists that I am newly subscribing to.

slrnpull saves all the articles in a tree. If the gmane newsgroup is comp.editor.vim, then the tree will look like ...comp/editor/vim/. Underneath that will be a bunch of loose files, I think one per post. So it's not a Maildir format.

However, mutt 1.5.18 was able to browse these directories just as though they were mailboxes. I didn't have any special nntp patch applied to mutt.

But now since I've upgraded to mutt 1.5.20, the directories show up empty in mutt. Revert to the older mutt, and all the articles become visible again. I compile my own copy of mutt, so I thought maybe I left out a compile-time flag, or some compile-time default changed. But "mutt -v" on the old and new versions of mutt give the same report. And when I try the version of mutt 1.5.20 from extra, the slrnpull'd directories continue to look empty to mutt.

Anyone have any ideas how to get mutt 1.5.20 to be able to browse these directories again? I also have a post into the mutt mailing list, but I thought there was some chance someone here would know, or have good ideas. I'll post back if I figure it out, either way.

#2 2009-08-26 16:14:02

brisbin33
Website

Re: mutt and slrnpull'd / nntp datastore

totally guessing here...

changelog wrote:

! browser correctly displays maildir's mtime

Instead of using the (pointless) mtime of the top-level maildir
    folder, use the latest mtime of the "new" and "cur" subdirectories.
    Maildir folders in the mailboxes list can now be properly sorted by
    date. This does not affect the directory browser. Also see #2421.

so i'm thinking /possibly/ since the message date is now derived from the cur/new folders (which you don't have) you can't see the messages, where as before, the message date was derived from the maildir folder (which you do have).

dunno how to fix, but maybe this is what's going on?

/edit: meh, second thought... probably not.  this should really only affect the maildir folders in the mailboxes list and not your messages list in the pager... i dunno.  best of luck though.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-08-26 16:16:26)

#3 2009-08-26 16:34:56

Profjim

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried sticking some {cur,new,tmp} dirs into the slrnpull/nntpstore directory (not sure what to call it). But I left all the articles at the root of the directory. This doesn't work. I guess in that case it assumes it's an empty Maildir.

#4 2009-08-27 14:22:48

briest

Maybe mutt saw these directories as MH mailboxes? I don't remember whether there are any mh-specific ./configure options or not, but the structure you describe looks pretty mh-ish wink

Board footer