You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-27 12:27:43

ashleenaidoo

Newbie - Arch desktop questions and system problems

Hi guys,

My name is Ashlee Naidoo from South Africa and I'm totally new to Arch Linux, have been using Ubuntu for a while and decided to make the move to Arch, due to the flexibility and also with having the option to customise the console the way i want it.

I have 4 questions for now, which i would like to ask and do apologise if this has already been asked and killed, lol smile, but i can't seem to find all my answers which i require.

1 - After installing Arch, do i need to install xorg (which just hangs when i start "startx" after installing it), as a must before installing another windows manager like Gnome or Openbox or can i install anything i like?
2 - Does Openbox offer the basic programs such Firefox, terminal, media player etc?
3 - From what I've seen I've noticed that you can install Openbox and Pypanel to work together, does this cause any problems etc?
4 - How good is Pypanel and what do you guys recommend?
5 - What would you guys recommend with regards to connecting securely using ssh, the built in function or a terminal etc?

Once again, i do apologise if this has already been asked and if they are really stupid questions, but i have to ask them and thank you for your help and answers in advance.:D:D:D

Ash

#2 2009-08-27 12:39:04

sHyLoCk

Re: Newbie - Arch desktop questions and system problems

1. Yes you need to install Xorg before installing a DE.
2. No. That's the whole point of a minimal system. You only install what you want and nothing is forced on you by default.
3. No. Works fine. I use tint2 though.
4. It's good.
5. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSH

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-08-27 12:56:17

TomWitko
Website

I just started using Arch a few months ago and migrated from Ubuntu like distros.
I found the Begginers guide usefull for the install for install steps. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide . You have to install xorg and also the video driver for your video card as covered on the guide and config it all.

tux-linux-t-shirt.com

#4 2009-08-27 13:21:42

ashleenaidoo

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Will let you know if i have any problems.

Thanks
Ashlee

Board footer