You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-27 13:48:53

Mashi

[SOLVED] Boot problem - keyboard stuck after kernel upgrade

A while ago I installed s2ram to try to get suspend working. I added the uresume hook to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but I never configured suspend.conf correctly so every time I booted it asked me to enter the swap partition device path, and I got used to pressing enter to skip it. To try to get rid of it I uninstalled s2ram but never removed the hook / ran "mkinitcpio -p kernel26", so it continued to prompt me. I am now paying for my lazyness roll.

Yesterday I did a full system upgrade which included a new kernel. Now when I boot, the uresume hook asks me for the location of my swap partition but the keyboard isn't working! It's a USB keyboard (I don't have a PS/2 one to try). It seems that something that runs shortly before the uresume hook is freezing the keyboard, because the num-lock LED stays on but I can't toggle it and the system is basically unresponsive to the keyboard.

Looking at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … mkinitcpio it appears I can disable the uresume hook by editing the kernel command line in grub. I'm going to try this later when I get home. I can't remove the hook properly because I can't boot the system.

Anyone know what's up with the keyboard not working? Was there some other task that I should have performed before rebooting after the upgrade? Later today I have to be available so I hope to be able to resolve this quickly when I get home later.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mashi (2009-08-28 19:02:27)

#2 2009-08-28 01:24:25

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: [SOLVED] Boot problem - keyboard stuck after kernel upgrade

Mashi wrote:

Was there some other task that I should have performed before rebooting after the upgrade?

It's possible you have some .pacnew and pacsave files that need to be merged.  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac … save_Files.  If you have yaourt installed, then you have pacdiffviewer, which is a very nice tool for dealing with them.

#3 2009-08-28 19:02:10

Mashi

Re: [SOLVED] Boot problem - keyboard stuck after kernel upgrade

I solved it... I got past the resume prompt thing by adding "disablehooks=uresume" to the kernel command line. After that it complained that it couldnt find my root partition, I fixed that by regenerating the ramdisk. Booted arch live CD, mounted root drive, chrooted to root drive and then ran "mkinitcpio -p kernel26". Not sure if that's the exact command but I'm too lazy to look it up roll.

Board footer