You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-28 20:49:02

jash

[Solved] Trouble Initiallizing Network on EEE PC 1000

Hi

I am newer to Linux but very new to arch.

I am trying to install arch on my eee pc 1000. I have found both the beginners guide and Asus Eee PC 1000 wiki to be very helpful thus far.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_1000

I have completed Part I of the Beginners guide and am attempting to setup the drivers for my Ethernet connection in the EEE PC wiki.

The EEE PC wiki says to grab the unrar and unzip packages from a mirror of my choice and while it may be trivial I am at a loss as to where I should find these packages.

The rest of the driver setup seems fairly straight forward and I could complete it but the makepkg fails (obviously) because it is missing the dependencies unzip and unrar.

Really all I need is the unrar because I believe that tar can extract zip files.

I have look around very much and tried my had at finding non-network methods of installing unzip and unrar and all of my attempts have failed.

Any help I could get with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by jash (2009-08-30 05:30:34)

#2 2009-08-28 20:53:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] Trouble Initiallizing Network on EEE PC 1000

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2009-08-29 05:41:28

djszapi
Website

Welcome to the forum, jash!

"The rest of the driver setup seems fairly straight forward and I could complete it but the makepkg fails (obviously) because it is missing the dependencies unzip and unrar." -> What was the exact error output ?

You can download from the official mirrors then install it locally with pacman -U or pacman -S.

#4 2009-08-29 18:58:37

jash

Thanks for everyones help.

djszapi that was what I was attempting to do. In my newbie state I never thought to start looking at the official mirrors list (*I am an idiot*).  Yesterday, I asked a more experience friend and they pointed this out to me. They also updated the eee pc 1000 wiki to include a link to the official mirrors list.

I was able to download the packages and install them locally.

I ran into another issue make: *** [default] error 2. After investigating this issue and finding little assistance I attempted to rebuild the system. I found that I had blacklisted a couple of modules unnecessarily. I do not know if that solved the make error but it solved the networking issue.

So now my Ethernet port is working flawlessly and I did not need to install the drivers in the Eee PC 100 wiki suggested.

Thanks again for all assistance.

#5 2009-08-30 02:18:29

djszapi
Website

Great to hear! You can change the title of topic to 'Solved', if you feel so.

Board footer