You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-29 11:54:38

henaken

Same Arch install in new bigger hd

I ve installed Arch on my eee 1000h and I found it wonderfull.
I ll get a bigger hard disk soon.
is there a way to copy the installed system into the new hd disk without installing everything from the  beggining? like creating an iso image of the system or something like that?

#2 2009-08-29 14:49:01

jwcxz
Website

Re: Same Arch install in new bigger hd

Yeah, there are several ways to do it.  You could use dd to create an image of the disk and then write it to the new hard drive.  However, this would require you to use a filesystem where you can extend the partition size (i.e. it won't automatically adjust in size, so the new capacity won't be used).  Many filesystems support this though.

I think the easier way is to do this:
1.  Using dar, backup all of the files on your system (if they're on multiple partitions, create an archive for each).
2.  Pop in the new hard drive, create the partitions, etc.
3.  Un-dar things onto the new partitions.

This worked fine for me when I migrated my files from my laptop's old hard drive to its new one.

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#3 2009-08-29 23:01:44

henaken

thank you very much.
I ll try your way.

smile

#4 2009-09-22 02:04:21

knopper92

jwcxz wrote:

Yeah, there are several ways to do it.  You could use dd to create an image of the disk and then write it to the new hard drive.  However, this would require you to use a filesystem where you can extend the partition size (i.e. it won't automatically adjust in size, so the new capacity won't be used).  Many filesystems support this though.

I think the easier way is to do this:
1.  Using dar, backup all of the files on your system (if they're on multiple partitions, create an archive for each).
2.  Pop in the new hard drive, create the partitions, etc.
3.  Un-dar things onto the new partitions.

This worked fine for me when I migrated my files from my laptop's old hard drive to its new one.

Don't forget that you have to reinstall the bootloader as well. smile

Board footer