You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-29 21:07:04

mongoose088

Integrated Webcam Microphone Detection Issues [SOLVED]

I'm running Arch on a Dell Vostro 1320, which is eqipped with an integrated webcam and some kind of internal microphone. I'm trying to get simple recording to work with the gnome sound recorder, and also for skype. I think it has to do with the way my Alsaconf is configured. Here's what it looks like:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8127 … 001kvj.jpg

The "Mono Mux" channel has 3 possible settings : DAC0 , DAC1, and Mixer.

The first "Digital" Channel has 3 settings: Analog I , Digital Mic I, and Digital Mic II

The second "Digital" Channel has the same 3 settings. The only difference is Alsa calls the first Digital "Digital Input Source" and the second "Digital Input Source 1".

Another strange thing I noticed is whenever I go to the sound options in the gnome sound recorder, I unmute to the "Mic" channel, and crank up the volume, but as soon as I close the Mic it mutes itself again. If the options window open and unmuted WHILE I record, it still doesn't pick up any sounds.

I have no former experience with integrated webcams or mics, so I don't know if I gave you the right information, but if you need the output of something just let me know. Hopefully I can get the microphone to recognize and record sounds.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mongoose088 (2009-08-30 03:28:27)

#2 2009-08-29 21:35:40

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Integrated Webcam Microphone Detection Issues [SOLVED]

Get something like audacity so you can see what is being recorded in realtime, then change the controls in alsamixer and see if you can record anything. Mind you that sometimes (... ok it seems lately it is quite often) alsa doesn't work "out of the box", specially with hdaudio controllers and codecs as the one you have. Do a search here on the forum and you will see what I mean wink

If you can't make alsa work for you (but you must really try) then you may want to give OSSv4 a try, for me it worked very well but some users report that recording from the mic doesn't work for them (usually with hdaudio controllers and codecs ).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-08-30 03:28:05

mongoose088

Re: Integrated Webcam Microphone Detection Issues [SOLVED]

Hey Rookie, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I was acutally able to solve it with some googling around!

Here's what I did:
Open up sound control (GNOME), and go into your preferences. Check a box for a label called "Digital". The column next to it will say "Recording".
Click the recording tab and crank up the volume of the the the newly visible "digital" gauge.
Now, click the options tab. Set both "Digital Input Sources" to "Digital Mic 1".
Of course, make sure your device is HDA Intel.

The sound in Skype and Gnome-recorder should work! Credits to the guy on this link:
http://davestation.wordpress.com/2008/0 … buntu-804/

Thanks for the help Rookie, and hopefully my find will help others.

Board footer