You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-30 08:42:57

NEscalona

[Macbook] Is home sharing viable?

EDIT: In retrospect, perhaps this would belong better in the Newbie Corner. If a mod agrees, perhaps he'll move it.

I'm looking to install Arch on my Macbook (13-inch). It's got 1 GiB of memory, and is running Mac OS X 10.5.8. The Macbook wiki guide stated it was possible to have Arch use the Mac partition (HFS+ Journaled) as /home, but it provided insufficient details (for me, anyway).

First, can anyone confirm that this is not only possible, but relatively stable? Would you recommend it?

I am working with very limited HDD space. Which portions of Arch cannot or should not be placed on the Mac partition? I would like to shrink the Mac partition as little as possible; in other words, I would like to put as much as viable of Arch on the Mac partition. What advice do you have for me in this regard?

Thanks. smile

Last edited by NEscalona (2009-08-30 08:53:26)

#2 2009-08-30 11:17:02

djszapi
Website

Re: [Macbook] Is home sharing viable?

Hello NEscalona!

How many disk space do you have ? It depends on how you use your system and for what. It can be very lightweight, and minimal too.

#3 2009-09-01 00:53:35

NEscalona

I have about 40 GiB of space left on the drive, out of 55 GiB total. The used space on the drive is Mac OS X plus basic apps, I'm looking to attempt some gaming on Wine which means disk space for installation. I would also like to be able to read/write the same files from both OSes pretty easily. And the standard music playing (mostly online streaming), word processing. On the other hand this is not at all my main system and I am not necessarily looking for superb performance.

The reason I want to cram Arch into the same partition, rather than just let Arch mount the Mac partition separately, is because I don't want to have to deal with resizing partitions and that means minimizing the variability in required disk space on each partition. Ideally, things like /usr and /home would both be on the Mac partition, so I would already know how much space to allot to whichever other partitions and they would be more static.

I didn't even know this business of multiple OSes per partition was even possible until recently, so I'm also trying to generally learn the current limitations of the technology. With every step I take I'm learning huge amounts about both Mac and Linux, it's a lot of fun tongue

Last edited by NEscalona (2009-09-01 00:57:12)

#4 2009-09-04 16:57:24

NEscalona

Can someone help out with this? I don't know how to tell Arch where /home is, without Arch erasing and formatting that place.

#5 2009-09-04 22:50:05

djszapi
Website

"I don't know how to tell Arch where /home is" <- with /etc/fstab e.g.

#6 2009-09-04 23:23:24

Acecero

NEscalona wrote:

Can someone help out with this? I don't know how to tell Arch where /home is, without Arch erasing and formatting that place.

Just type in "mount" and you will know which partition is mounted to a certain directory.

Last edited by Acecero (2009-09-04 23:24:20)

Board footer