You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-01 10:51:06

johnpatcher

[SOLVED] Strange problem with the console

Hi,

I've encountered a strange problem with the console. I have installed and set up the xorg package (with the nvidia driver), which works great so far. But as soon as I start the X server and exit it again, I can't use my console properly any more and have to restart my laptop.

My console is always a few lines "behind", so I can't read what I'm writing sad. If I press enter often enough I can see what I have written some lines before, it seems that some "autoscroll" feature of the console was disabled. As it is hard to describe I've taken some pictures.

The first one shows the end of the x server session. I had to press enter a few times already in order to see the bottom lines of the x server output: http://a.imagehost.org/view/0400/DSC05599_Large

The second one shows that I have entered "test" a few lines earlier and that I had to press enter, so that I can see that line: http://a.imagehost.org/view/0859/DSC05600_Large

The pictures don't show the behaviour right at all, it feels like writing below the visible area of the screen.

To confuse you even more I have experienced the same behaviour after a "pm-hibernate", so that I can't use the laptop after a waking up after an successfull hibernation.

Is there anything I can do about this? What's the reason?

Last edited by johnpatcher (2009-09-01 17:31:49)

#2 2009-09-01 16:18:35

johnpatcher

Re: [SOLVED] Strange problem with the console

I've just found out that the console does indeed scroll automatically, however it is alway a few lines behind the visible area.

I'm now thinking that due to the fact that I'm using a different resolution with my X server (1280x800) the console (or the hardware) is still thinking that there is a 1280x800 device connected.

How can I set the proper resolution in the console? I've tried to use "fbset", but it tells me there there is no "/dev/fb0" device, so I guess I'm not using fb?

Last edited by johnpatcher (2009-09-01 17:20:22)

#3 2009-09-01 17:30:49

johnpatcher

Re: [SOLVED] Strange problem with the console

I managed to solve the problem. As said above I changed the framebuffer resolution (using this guide. It works now as expected, although the size of the font is quite small. Have to change this right now wink.

Board footer