You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-02 02:40:56

timm

Install with Raid and LVM - can't find boot device [Solved]

I'm following through the "Installing with Software RAID or LVM" from the wiki.  (I've also tried to do this install with the new lvm support in the installer, with no different results.)

I have set up my raid devices, I have set up my LVM device.  Essentially, /boot and swap run on Raid1 and / runs on Raid 5, there is an LVM volume set up for /.

Every time I finish, I reboot and get the message that the boot device (which is currently /dev/mapper/array-root) cannot be found, and if it gets created while here, etc etc  I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am wondering if I am supposed to be adding some options in the Manage filesystems portion of the installer, but don't know what to add.

I currently have the following devices ready to be set up in the Manage filesystems

/dev/mapper/array-root
/dev/md0
/dev/md1
dev/md2

md0 is the device upon which /dev/mapper/array-root is buiilt
md1 is for /boot
md2 is for swap.

I have been installing / to /dev/mapper/array-boot and ignoring /dev/md0, using ext3 for the / partition.  I'm using ext2 for the boot partition

I have followed the instructions on installing grub as written in the wiki entry, although they don't mention actually editing the menu.lst file, which I have done.

[bump]

This morning I found an article on installing on LVM (no raid involvement), and the grub article, both of which I want to work through and hopefully resolve the issue.

Resolution:

The issue is apparently the same as addressed in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77268 this thread.  mdadm.conf is empty when arch runs mkinitcpio.  What I did was finish configuring my system, then Alt-F3 to a different terminal.  I then chrooted into the new system per the instructions on the wiki article mentioned at the beginning of this post.  I then deleted the existing mdadm.conf and did a mdadm -D --scan>>/etc/mdadm.conf

I then went back to my installation system, exited the new terminal and went back to the install page.  I then went to configure, and proceeded as though I hadn't ever left.  Everything gets rebuilt, I leave, install grub per the article, and my machine boots up.

It would be nice to be able to fix the mdadm.conf during the configuration process of the rest of the conf files, but that might not be possible.  Anyway, it's solved.

Last edited by timm (2009-09-02 19:57:25)

Board footer