You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-02 18:40:03

tsnyder91

New Archlinux Install incorrectly configured fstab?[SOLVED]

Hey guys,

A co-worked suggested this disto since it requires the user to get to know linux more intimately than the other distros i've been using(OpenSUSE and K/X/Ubuntu.

I have old hardware:

nforce2 shuttle mobo
Athlon XP 2500+
EIDE only, no SATA...
AGP 8x...you get the picture.

Since my proc is 32-bit i grabbed the i686 img and booted it off a flash drive ( that was a learning experience!)
When I ran through the install I would always end up getting this error on reboot after install completed:

couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks....
fsck.ext4: bad magic number in super-block while trying to
open /dev/hdb3

the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alterate
superblock: 
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

After digging and running into all sorts of dead ends I decided to edit my fstab file and set the pass-num to 0 for each mount point so I could atleast see if I could get to a command prompt that wasn't maintenance mode.

I could boot and run just fine.

Further investigation revealed fstab was setup to use /dev/hdX  but Archlinux setup the drives as /dev/sdX's.

It is my understanding that /dev/sdX is SATA and /dev/hdX is IDE...is this right?

This happened even if I chose the legacy archlinux setup (no SATA). I also ran each setup as network install and cd src, same outcome.  It seems fstab was setup "right" since I don't have sata, but the rest of the setup was configured around sata anyways. 

Once I changed my /dev/hdX entries to /dev/sdX and set the pass-num back to 1 for each of those in fstab it booted and all checks were successfull.

Did I find a bug?

Last edited by tsnyder91 (2009-09-02 21:36:01)

#2 2009-09-02 18:55:34

tsnyder91

Re: New Archlinux Install incorrectly configured fstab?[SOLVED]

so I apologize but this should have gone into the Installation Forum maybe...can someone move it there if thats where it should go?

Board footer