You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-02 21:04:58

daedalusman

vlc disables monitor power management features

After watching a video in VLC the monitor power management feature is disabled. In stead of my monitor going into standby and then turning off after the set time intervals, nothing happens any more after watching videos using VLC. Is there a setting in VLC that addresses this (I haven't been able to find one, though I may just have missed it) or is there some other way I can fix this problem?

I use VLC 'cause totem doesn't have enough features and the other players just don't seem to work as well or are missing some other of the features that I want (such as volume normalization). So ideally I would like to stick with VLC but if anyone has a better video player that doesn't suffer from this behavior than I would love to hear some suggestions on that front as well.

Thanks for any help provided.

#2 2009-09-02 21:16:45

jamesbond007

Re: vlc disables monitor power management features

Hi daedalusman,

the only thing related to your problem I found in the VLC preferences is this:
- Tools
- Preferences
- All
- Video
- Disable screensaver

Suggestion for alternative video player: smplayer

Kind regards,
jamesbond007.

#3 2009-09-02 23:07:15

daedalusman

jamesbond007 wrote:

Hi daedalusman,

the only thing related to your problem I found in the VLC preferences is this:
- Tools
- Preferences
- All
- Video
- Disable screensaver

Suggestion for alternative video player: smplayer

Kind regards,
jamesbond007.

Thanks for the reply, I have this option unticked right now, which I would assume wouldn't cause it to cause the problem I'm having, no?

I have used smplayer in the past and kinda liked, I might have to give it another chance as I can't remember why I stopped using it.

#4 2009-09-03 04:16:51

skottish
Forum Fellow

I don't know the commands off of the top of my head, but you can always wrap the vlc command in a script that restarts DPMS on exit.

#5 2009-09-05 21:59:49

rwd

Try gnome-mplayer too. I doesn't have gnome dependencies despite it's name and you can use advanced mplayer commandline options if you need that, though I'm not sure about normalization. In my experience mplayer doesn't leave dpms off after playback.

Last edited by rwd (2009-09-05 22:05:58)

Board footer