You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 06:43:57

ugkbunb

[SOLVED] Can't get CUPS to add / detect HP Laserjet 1100 printer

I moved my computer downstairs... after a few weeks I decided to move my printer down and set it up. I had it working perfectly a few weeks ago before the move... however now I can't get CUPS to detect or add my printer. At first when I moved my printer downstairs the CUPS web interface had my previous setup still there and had my printer detected / added. However, printing jobs would just stay in the queue and never print. I did some googling and someone mention to remove the printer and re-add it. Well I tried to to that and got stuck on trying to re-add it. CUPS will not identify my printer now. Funny thing is I just now remember I had a similiar issue a few months back and I remembered now I fixed the queue issue just by unplugging the power to my printer and leaving it off for 5min then replugging it in. I have tried all the steps on the wiki and I can't seem to figure this one out. dmesg does output that it is detecting my printer. I have my printer hooked up via a mini parralel to USB cord. If you have any other questions for me please shoot

Unplugging and repluggin my printer gives me this msg in dmesg:

usblp0: removed
usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
usb 6-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x4348 pid 0x5584

hp-toolbox also does not detect any printers. I have tried restarting cupsd... Any help is appreciated... I need to get printing up ASAP since school has started.

lsusb output this amongst other things:

Bus 006 Device 004: ID 4348:5584 WinChipHead CH34x printer adapter cable

If it matters I am using XFCE as my DE... I also do not remember using the CUPS interface to intially add the printer... I do not exactly remember how I did it... but the web interface looked completely new to me and I am rather sure that is not how I initially went about doing it... perhaps I used some GUI frontend for it...

EDIT: After reading the forum descriptions closer... perhaps this should be moved to the Workstation section.

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-07 20:11:27)

#2 2009-09-04 15:04:53

ugkbunb

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get CUPS to add / detect HP Laserjet 1100 printer

bump and could I get a mod to move this to the correct forum... thanks in advance

#3 2009-09-06 05:37:02

ugkbunb

Weird... so I booted up my computer today and tried again to add my printer... but it was already added... it shows up under the CUPS interface under "Manage Printer"

"LaserJet-1100---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.2.4    LaserJet-1100---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.2.4        Local Raw Printer    Paused"

However now when I try to print... for example from Firefox... The printer is greyed out and it says "Paused: Rejecting Jobs"

so I managed without doing anything to get one step further... any help how to get it "unpaused" and not rejecting jobs would be great.

thanks in advance

#4 2009-09-07 08:53:45

parintachin

have you tried setting up the printer via hp-setup ?

#5 2009-09-07 09:15:41

Ranguvar

The new udev in the repos seems to have cups fixes, try with that?

#6 2009-09-07 18:01:29

ugkbunb

Ok I updated to the udev and this is my progress so far.

I managed to get somewhere... I edited the /etc/cups/printers.conf -- I noticed the DeviceURI was pointed to /dev/null and I knew that was incorrect... so I edited to look like the following:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.0
# Written by cupsd on 2009-09-07 12:56
<Printer LaserJet-1100---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.2.4>
Info LaserJet-1100---CUPS+Gutenprint-v5.2.4
DeviceURI file:/dev/usb/lp0 
State Idle
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

/dev/usb/lp0 does exist on my computer. The dialog is no longer greyed out and the printer is listed as Idle under the CUPS manage printer interface but however if try and print the printer just spits out blank pages after blank pages until I go into the CUPS manage job interface and cancel the job manually.

I have tried to setup the printer using hp-setup it does  not detect my printer... I have tried using Bus and Device ID from lsusb to manually add it in hp-setup and that does not work either.

EDIT: Weird... now the two options under Add Printer HP Printer and HP Scanner are no longer available under Local Printers... I was thinking perhaps if I added it manually with the DeviceURI under that it would work... I tried to do that but I put a space in the name of my printer... CUPS spit out an error saying that spaces in printer names were not allowed... I hit OK and attempted to readd it without the space and now the option for HP Printer is no longer available and additionally there is now a noticable hang / lag when I click Add Printer before the options show up.

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-07 18:17:37)

#7 2009-09-07 18:38:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm curious why you're using gutenprint drivers for a HP printer. hplip provides everything needed for HP printers.

#8 2009-09-07 18:44:53

ugkbunb

skottish wrote:

I'm curious why you're using gutenprint drivers for a HP printer. hplip provides everything needed for HP printers.

Tell you the truth... I have no idea how to change it or what not... I didn't even add that manually... just rebooted my computer one day and it appeared there.

hpsetup does not detect my printer

system-config-printer gives me an error when I try and add a printer. I manually specify the location to file:/dev/usb/lp0 ... I scroll down find HP LaserJet 1100 and the recommended driver is hpjis 3.9.8. I select that and I get the following:

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-possible'

EDIT: I am about ready to chunk to this printer out the window... I have been messing with this for about a week now and I just keep getting two steps forward and then three steps backwards.

The system-config-printer dialog looked familiar and I believe that when I intially was able to set up my printer and had it working upstairs I used that dialog to add my printer.

Some googling brought me to this ubuntu bug report

Your USB-to-parallel adapter does not pass through the printer ID. The device is recognized as printer, but there is no information about manufacturer and model. Therefore system-config-printer and hal-cups-utils automatically assign the text-only printer to the unknown device.

In general you have to run system-config-printer and manually choose manufacturer and model.

That you cannot print at all is a bug of the "hal" CUPS backend. See

https://fedorahosted.org/hal-cups-utils/ticket/5

Try to do the following:

cupsctl FileDevice=yes
lpadmin -p <your print queue name> -E -v file:/dev/usb/lp0

This is an ugly workaround which works if you have only one printer (the one with the adapter cable) on USB. Does it work for you?

Now the problem is that I can not add my printer via the system-config-printer. However, if I go the CUPS web interface and hit manage printers the driver is listed as the following:

Driver:    Local Raw Printer (grayscale)

Now I think that is my issue... I need to have it set to the correct driver... if I hit modify printer and select my Make/Model I get the following access error:

401 Unauthorized

Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket.

However there is no prompt or I do not know where to enter this information to.

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-07 19:06:48)

#9 2009-09-07 20:11:11

ugkbunb

FIXED!!!!! I am victorious!!!!

This is what I ended up doing...

Made a backup of my conf file... In the end it was not needed but it is a good practice:

sudo mv /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.back

Copied over the default conf file
sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Set filedevice URI to enabled
sudo cupsctl FileDevice=yes

Restart cups
sudo /etc/rc.d/cups restart

Logged into the Cups web interface
http://localhost:631/admin/

Modified my printer... pointed it to the file:/dev/usb/lp0

Manually selected my printer make and model... and selected the following driver:
hpjis 3.9.8.

Ta dahh!! Everything now works. Thanks everyone for yalls input.

Description:    HP LaserJet 1100
Driver:    HP LaserJet 1100 hpijs, 3.9.8 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:    file:/dev/usb/lp0
Defaults:    job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-07 20:19:31)

#10 2009-09-25 19:07:33

jazz452

Thanks this helped me but he line:
sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

should be:
sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Board footer