You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 21:24:16

johnpatcher

[SOLVED] Mounting a original Video-DVD fails

Hi,

I want to watch some of my favorite DVDs on my new laptop. After setting up Arch (with Gnome as DE), all works fine so far, except the fact that DVD don't get mounted automatically sad. Whereas my system mounts every CD and self burnt DVD (with data, backup) it has some problems with mounting a original Video-DVD.

As said above I'm using Gnome (in combination with hal). After the insertion of any Video-DVD it takes quite a while until I get a pop up saying that the volume can't be mounted sad.

The exact message reads:

Cannot mount volume.

Unable to mount the volume 'BEGINNER_LIVE'

If I try to mount the device manually without specifying any kind of type it doesn't work either:

[johnpatcher@vostro ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

dmesg | tail says the following:

[johnpatcher@vostro ~]$ dmesg | tail
UDF-fs: No anchor found
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

It looks totally different when I mount the device manually with the -t option and setting it to "iso9660":

[johnpatcher@vostro ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/ -t iso9660
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

After mounting it this way I have full access to the content and can watch the dvd using vlc.

But mounting every dvd manually is quite silly, I want it to work automatically wink.

So there are two possibilities:
a.) My system (the kernel) doesn't recognize the device / dvd correctly and tries to mount it using udf, although there is no udf data
b.) udf doesn't work properly for me

So, can anybody tell me how to fix that? I think convincing Gnome (hal) to mount such dvd with the iso9660 type would be enough, wouldn't it?

Best regards
johnpatcher

Last edited by johnpatcher (2009-09-13 16:43:15)

#2 2009-09-03 21:37:10

azleifel

Re: [SOLVED] Mounting a original Video-DVD fails

I'm have the same problem and a little googling, e.g. for "UDF-fs: No anchor found", will find others.  I'm not that bothered about finding a solution because vlc or xine will play a dvd regardless of whether it is mounted or not.

Last edited by azleifel (2009-09-03 21:37:41)

#3 2009-09-04 09:06:55

dcfighter

I have similiar problem that concerns accessing data on dvd-r, so I will joing this topic.

I have HAL and DBUS installed and running, all necessary libraries, user is added to optical group, there are no entries for optical drives in fstab, my drive is cd/dvd NEC combo with the most recent firmware.

When I insert dvd+rw hal mounts it without problems, there is a /media/sr0 folder in which all files from dvd are.

Mounting dvd-r (any brand) is entirely different story (either data or original DVD movies). I know they work on other OSes, but Arch refuses to mount them. Even SMplayer can't play those movie dvds. The strange thing is, when I use K3B it can see the label of dvd-r but can't mount it and says that its size is like 2-5 kb. It looks as if the system tries to acces wrong session of these dvds. I have the same erros as poster above.

Mounting manually doesn't work for me.

Last edited by dcfighter (2009-09-04 09:20:48)

#4 2009-09-04 12:08:14

johnpatcher

@dcfighter: Have you set a region code? Maybe the region code isn't set for your drive?

#5 2009-09-04 12:17:56

dcfighter

No, I haven't. But is it really the issue?
[EDIT]
Seems like I gave some invalid info. I tested those discs in my Xbox console and they worked fine, but it seems that my other OS on this PC can't read dvd-r too. I set region to 2 but it didn't change anything. In the end it may be hardware problem and has nothing to do with config of my Arch. I guess the only thing left is buying new drive.

Last edited by dcfighter (2009-09-04 13:49:17)

#6 2009-09-04 15:03:53

johnpatcher

I've tried to use it with Ubuntu, and to make you even more confused, it works just fine with the type "udf" (automatically detected).

So there must be something wrong with Arch (or I'm missing a library or something like this).

#7 2009-09-04 15:52:54

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

There are many threads about this topic on the forums..
Is mounting a video dvd really necessary for you? Why not just play it without mounting?

#8 2009-09-04 16:10:11

johnpatcher

I hate the idea that my system is not capable to mount a simple Video DVD, while it works just fine with other distros. Is there something disabled in the kernel, so a re-compile will do it?

Last edited by johnpatcher (2009-09-04 16:13:21)

#9 2009-09-13 11:58:01

JohnDoe

I had such a problem, solution found here:http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/414 … ems-2.html,(editing line in gconf-editor and one .fdi file of hal) for UDF(original) disks it works fine - under gnome.  I have problems with self-burmed iso9660 dvd+r, but i guess i rather open new thread.

#10 2009-09-13 16:43:33

johnpatcher

Ok, thanks very much, works just fine for me wink.

Board footer