You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-04 12:24:34

xd-0
Website

[solved] GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard and noise in speakers

I have been trying to get the sound to this motherboard working for one day now withut succes.

After a clean install of Arch Linux and an update, I install oss, and after restart sound works perfect. But after some reboots I only get a loud noise from the speakers, and nothing I do seems to fix it.
Also tried changing to alsa and detecting sound with alsaconf whitout any succes. I have my suspicion that installing alsa-lib (as dependency) somehow messes up the sound, but I don't want to reinstall yet to confirm this.

If it helps, an Ubuntu live-cd have no problem playing sound.

Does anyone have the same mb with a working system or have any clues how to fix this?

Last edited by xd-0 (2009-09-05 13:19:27)

#2 2009-09-04 22:34:00

djszapi
Website

Re: [solved] GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard and noise in speakers

Hello xd-0!

"Also tried changing to alsa and detecting sound with alsaconf whitout any succes." <- How did you try to change, according to the wiki page ? Did you try with pulseaudio too ?

#3 2009-09-05 08:56:56

xd-0
Website

First, sorry for the lack of info in the first post, was a little bit a cry for help tongue
So now to the update; did reinstall arch some times to track down what I think is the problem.

When I first start arch (and also after the first update) some snd modules are loaded, among them:
snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi
snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm

When I install oss I get some message about not recognising the codec, but sound works. And this puzzles me since oss clearly states that it cannot use those modules. After reboot oss have packaged all those mentioned modules in a tar archive and the kernel does'nt load them, and the sound does'nt work any more, only a high noise is heard from the speakers.

If I install alsa it does'nt work directly even if those modules seems to be loaded (it does'nt detect the card or something).
I then run alsaconf and it detects the onboard soundcard, but then it loads some other modules including snd_hda_intel, and once again I only get noise from the speakers.

To complicate it all, did a list of the modules that arch loaded this boot (with only alsa-lib installed as dependency to firefox but alsa not started even once), and the snd modules mentioned from the first boot is'nt loaded. This is strange, because should'nt the autoloaded modules be the same?

So are there any module/alsa/oss guru that can help?

#4 2009-09-05 09:56:37

xd-0
Website

Some more info:

* lspci gives: 00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)

*Started alsa, but it does'nt find the soundcard, and arch does'nt seem to recognise the soundcard since it does'nt load any modules.

#5 2009-09-05 13:20:16

xd-0
Website

Problem solved, aplay does'nt play ogg files... 2 days of pure hellfire

Board footer