You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-04 15:04:15

skwo

Monitor refresh rates over SSH with forwarded X11

Hi, first of all sorry for posting it here, there is not other place I could find, its not a Media problem neither Network problem.

Assume the following: there are two computers A and B, they both have completely different monitors (we even can assume than A have an CRT monitor and B have an LCD monitor).

A is running windows, B is running linux. B allowed to forward his X11 via SSH, and A uses application like Xming to connect to B (like remote desktop).

B have monitor configurations inside his xorg.conf that suits his monitor (the appropriate horizontal sync, and vertical refresh).
Does this configuration applies to A's monitor the moment he establishes a connection to B using Xming for example?

I know this question is stupid but I'm worried since I don't want to fry any of my monitors.

Thanks!

ArchLinux x86_64 on Dell Latitude E5410

#2 2009-09-04 15:46:50

neddie_seagoon

Re: Monitor refresh rates over SSH with forwarded X11

As far as I know the Xorg configuration on computer B doesn't have any effect on computer A, because it's not actually controlling any of A's hardware.

#3 2009-09-05 17:00:06

pauldonnelly

Re: Monitor refresh rates over SSH with forwarded X11

skwo wrote:

Does this configuration applies to A's monitor the moment he establishes a connection to B using Xming for example

You've got it backwards. A doesn't connect to B. Programs running on B connect to the X server running on A. And no, B's settings have no effect on A, or vice versa.

Board footer