You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-04 16:05:18

Alexvader

Install Xorg and wmaker offline

Hi Forum, this may seem like a noob question...  :-)

I am new to ArchLinux, but not to Linux.

Started a few years ago with RHEL 4 x86-64, went through the Fedoras, the Suse's, the Ubuntu's ..

more recently I am Debian power user, I do mainly engineering simulation with my computer...

but i am becoming a bit more GNU Fundamentalist...  :-) I am willing to try Slackware, and ArchLinux.

I have installed ArchLinux in a usb HDD, just to see how it performs...

Man... NOBODY can beat ArchLinux boot time... this is awesome... :-)

I would like to know wether it is possible to instal Xorg and Xfce4 or wmaker in my os without having a working internet connection...

While most of the apps that I compile and install are heavy number crunching console applications, like OpenFOAM or Code Aster, I do need some graphical support for issues like pre/Post processing results...

can I just run pacman -S Xorg&&pacman -S wmaker being offline..?

Does Arch relies over some source tree to install the apps, like gentoo, or BSD..?

Thanks in Advance

BRGDS

Alex

#2 2009-09-04 18:18:19

djszapi
Website

Re: Install Xorg and wmaker offline

Welcome to the forum, Alexvader!

1. You can install offline packages, pacman -Sp packagename >> file, then go to a PC with network connection and download with wget, and then transport the downloaded files/packages to the PC without internet connection, then pacman -S packagename, or pacman -U *.pkg.tar.gz.

2. You can install packages from source of course, e.g. with ABS.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS … ild_System
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS … _Explained

#3 2009-09-05 19:43:56

Alexvader

Hi djszapi

Thanks for your answer,  so, i wget -r the whole of core, pub, etc repos of ArchLinux into a folder in my Debian laptop.

Is it enough if i burn a DVD ( say several of them...  ) with the contents, and cp the contents of that DVD into /home/alex/tmpInstall, cd /home/alex/tmpInstal and then run pacman -S whatever_I_want_to_install  ?

Do pkg.tar.gz's have some default place to be stored prior to install ( like /var/cache/apt/archives in a debian box ) or can pacman be run over /home/alex/tmpinstall containing the whole lot of the repos content...?

Thanks in advance

Alex

#4 2009-09-06 01:35:45

djszapi
Website

1. "Is it enough if i burn a DVD ( say several of them...  ) with the contents, and cp the contents of that DVD into /home/alex/tmpInstall, cd /home/alex/tmpInstal and then run pacman -S whatever_I_want_to_install  ?" <- pacman -U whatever_I_want_to_install.pkg.tar.gz, or place them into the cachedir which is defaultly /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

2. Do pkg.tar.gz's have some default place to be stored prior to install ( like /var/cache/apt/archives in a debian box ) or can pacman be run over /home/alex/tmpinstall containing the whole lot of the repos content...? <- You can write for this a small script, something similar: for x in /home/alex/tmpinstall/*.pkg.tar.gz; do pacman -U $x, done

#5 2009-09-07 20:48:31

Alexvader

Hi again djszapi

So, here is what I have done...  :

Dumped the whole repos content for "x86_64" and "any" core, extras and community into /var/cache/pacman/pkg, untared the community.db.tar.gz, common.db.tar.gz and extras.db.tar.gz into /var/lib/pacman/local as well as community.db.tar.gz into /var/lib/pacman/sync/community, common.db.tar.gz into /var/lib/pacman/sync/common and extras.db.tar.gz into /var/lib/pacman/sync/extras.

Running pacman -S whatever.pkg.tar.gz will install the package and resolve all the dependencies...?

... Man... installing xorg without automatic dependence ( pacman -U ####.pkg.tar.gz )  resolution is getting into my nerve...   :-)

Thanks in advance

Alex

Last edited by Alexvader (2009-09-07 20:49:50)

Board footer