You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 01:47:19

Mardoct

Entry-level Contribution

I've been messing with computers a long time, distro hopped a lot, played with Windows and now that I have settled on Arch - it's the first I came across that didn't treat me like an idiot - I'm moving on to programming. I've got a lot of the theory down - data types, functions, variables, whatever - but next to no practice.

So I am certainly not new to computers, but new to programming. I don't have any particular peices of software I would want to see made, so tell me: what do you think is the best thing I could do to contribute?

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#2 2009-09-06 02:10:29

ataraxia

Re: Entry-level Contribution

Since you don't have anything specific in mind, I'd suggest getting up to speed with some already existing project that's developed in this community. Pacman and Uzbl are the first that come to mind. The suckless.org projects are quite popular around here as well. I'd suggest spending a bit of time with the code before stepping up - a total programming newbie would probably be more trouble than help, because of the mentoring problem. Just hack around and see what you can get the code to do for you - I find working that way keeps my motivation higher than staring at the scary blank editor window.

#3 2009-09-06 02:45:05

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Entry-level Contribution

Bash is a great entry level programming if you haven't already learned it.  Bash can be useful for creating your own scripts and helping build packages for arch.  Here's a nice guide that's geared toward sh but since bash tries to be compatible with it will teach you a good number of things:

http://steve-parker.org/sh/intro.shtml

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Board footer