You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 04:49:39

lilsirecho
Veteran

Audio system doesn't work in kde phonon(solved)

I have alsa selected, ran alsaconf and it recognized the intel built in audio source.

In /etc/rc.conf I have :

MODULES:  (snd-usb-audio soundcore)

Not sure I need either one.

Set up in Kde sound and multimedia for USB .

Result; upon reaching Desktop, the dulcet tones of the welcome sound roar out of the speakers.  Take note, however, the USB mixer is not active at this time...but the sound emanating from the speakers is through a USB dongle connected to a USB port.  The dongle has a d/a converter and provides stereo to the speakers.  Thus, the sound is there but the mixer is set to the intel audio source.  Wowie!

Next I attempt to play a video clip with stereo audio....no go even though the kde sound and multimedia selection is set to usb audio.

In addition, when notification sounds are applied to the USB dongle, there is a LED which blinks once per second for the duration of the sound...but with this kde phonon setup, the dongle never stops blinking when the sound is over.

When working correctly, use with video is possible and it blinks during the video presentation and goes off when finished.  It does not do that with kde phonon and there is no sound when video is playing and the mixer is not set to USB.

I would like to shut phonon off and return to normal USB audio performance.

Can that be done in kde4?

Perhaps I am penalized again for using my system as a free soul running it in root(done so for going on eight years in linux).

Be aware that if the USB audio mixer is selected during kde phonon setup, the video audio is present.  I have had it work on accasions when troubleshooting but it dies on the next reboot.

Latest kernel, alsa-libs alsa-utils installed..alsaconf run..alsactl store..alsactl restore........all performed.

I do not have any audio related daemons in /rc.conf.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2009-09-06 21:49:33)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2009-09-06 05:04:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Audio system doesn't work in kde phonon(solved)

Entered "default" into kde sound and multimedia as the first item in notifications and video listings.

The USB mixer was then selected after reboot and the notification sound was present and video had sound as well.  The dongle blinks continuously with this setup.

Whazzup?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2009-09-06 16:21:56

lilsirecho
Veteran

Upon reboot, the audio system fails to perform for any audio source in USB mode.

#4 2009-09-06 19:13:02

lilsirecho
Veteran

Additional info: if the system is just rebooted, the USB audio mixer does not restart .

If the system is shut down, the USB mixer is restored upon restarting.

This may be due to legacy USB in bios since I use USB keybd and mouse.  This might affect the restore of alsa as well.

The system is intel based.

Board footer