You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 09:15:20

drostin77

/etc/rc.*, /etc/rc.d/{functions, dhcpdc, inittab}, more files gone

Not sure which forum to post this in.  A number of my /etc/rc.* files, a number of the daemons I have in rc.d, /sbin/minilogd, and a few other system files simply vanished today.  I restarted today, just as a matter of course because every couple weeks I reboot, and got the promt:

Enter Runlevel:

This seemed really bad.  I made a live boot usb key (its an eee laptop), found the missing files, rebuilt my rc.conf to the best of my memory, ran dhcpcd out of sbin.  And things, other than the files I replaced seem more or less OK.  But this is very very strange.  The only significant action I have taken with my computer recently is to install skype.  Other than that I have been programming a rails application, but it should have no interaction whatsoever with /etc, and I never run any part of it as root.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this?  Have I gotten linux malware?  I have my data backed up, so I /could/ reinstall, but I also really like my config and just got it to my liking about a month ago so I do not want to reinstall.  I don't believe its a corrupt hard drive (it has shown no other signs of being so).  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also I am wondering if anyone knows how to reinstall just the dhcpcd script in /etc/rc.d ... the binary is still there but I cant start it via rc.conf without the rc.d script, and that is very annoying. [EDIT] I restored the dhcpcd script, and it now complains there is no /etc/init.d/functions file.  So I restored that and it complains there is no /etc/sysconfig/network file.  I'm sure I can restore this too, but this is a weirder and weirder number of files to be gone, but they seem to be loosely network themed... I suspect I can google around for that though, my main question is: does anyone know what in the world or why in the world this might have suddenly happened to my computer?

[EDIT]: Actually the entire /etc/sysconfig directory is gone (assuming it was there in the first place and I didnt download a non-archy dhcpcd rc.d script)

Last edited by drostin77 (2009-09-06 09:27:41)

#2 2009-09-06 11:46:40

Profjim

Re: /etc/rc.*, /etc/rc.d/{functions, dhcpdc, inittab}, more files gone

I've got no /etc/sysconfig directory on my Arch install. Probably the rc.d script is non-Archy.

Sounds like you need to restore from (or diff against) a backup, or do a pacman -S $(pacman -Qqe). If you don't, you might keep encountering missing files for weeks.

#3 2009-09-06 12:25:33

kalavan

Have you made a system upgrade? Propably you had old initscripts package. New udev has set conflict with old initscripts, so during the upgrade initscripts are removed. Just boot witch any arch live cd and install initscripts.

#4 2009-09-06 15:56:58

drostin77

@Profjim

I'll give that a shot just as soon as a I backup my most recent changes to my work ;P Thanks for the tip

@kalavan

I actually have not upgraded anything recently, thats why its so mysterious!

#5 2009-09-06 16:12:32

drostin77

@profjim

Some of my installed apps were installed via yaourt / built from source etc.  This appears to confuse pacman:

[01:29:47][~]=$ sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Qqe)
warning: acidrip-0.14-6 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: acl-2.2.47-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
acpi-eeepc-generic package not found, searching for group...
error: 'acpi-eeepc-generic': not found in sync db

Do you know of any option to set pacman to "and ignore it if its not found" mode?

#6 2009-09-06 17:35:13

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

try $(comm -1 -2 <(pacman -Qqe) <(pacman -Qqm))

EDIT: Supposed to be -1 -2

Last edited by Daenyth (2009-09-07 15:09:50)

#7 2009-09-06 18:57:03

drostin77

Daenyth, thats a pro pacman command smile  Thanks

Everything appears to be working  when the computers running (ok, i basically just listen to music browse the web, run a ruby server and spend a lot of time in VIM on this computer, so I havent tested thoroughly).  However, when rebooting I get the "is going to reboot NOW! message, then it just stops.  If I hit power in this state, uswsusp kicks in and hibernates my computer, thats an acpi event triggering a little shell script so... clearly the computer has not stopped everything when it claims its going to reboot NOW!  Any clues on the reboot stall? (pacman update completed, yaourted or recompiled from source all but some trivial packages that were non-packman).

#8 2009-09-07 15:09:34

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Woops, that should have been comm -1 -2 in my above command.

#9 2009-09-07 17:04:54

drostin77

I worked it out smile

#10 2009-09-14 00:40:37

drostin77

So almost everything is back to working (though why exactly a ton of my config files suddenly vanished remains a mystery).  However, still not working are:

Reboot
Shutdown

These being sort of important things for a computer to do I would love help.   As is if I issue a:

sudo reboot
or even a
sudo shutdown -h now

I get the "is going to reboot NOW!" message (or shutdown message), but nothing really stops.  If music is playing it keeps playing, and if I suspent/hibernate via acpi events that works to.  Shutdown's behavior is the same (well, it doesn't say "reboot", but other than that its the same).  I'm really at a loss how to even start to diagnose this problem.  Any help/hints/ideas will be appreciated!

Board footer