You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-07 00:42:15

silvernode

[SOLVED] Cannot play music randomly

The issue happens sometimes after I reboot the system. Media players such as Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee, and Quod Libet fail to play music. Instead I get red X's next to each song even after trying to re-add them the the library. I thought maybe the issue was gstreamer but I have all gstreamer plugins and not to mention VLC works just fine. Skype is also something that fails when this happens. This is a very odd problem and has happened in my last Arch install. This install however is only about two days old. At first I was going to report a bug for Rhythmbox though it seems to be worse than that. Upon some reboots things work perfectly while other times they do not.

I know my hardware is supported but here it is:

ABIT Kn9 Motherboard (Nvidia Chipset)
AMD Althlon 64 3500+
Seagate 160 GB HD
2 GB DDR2 RAM(dunno the model or manufacturer )

I am leaning towards a bug in ALSA though I am not so sure yet. If anyone has experienced the same issues, know of a bug report or have some advice I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide info below. Thanks

P.S. Xmms also fails to play and displays an ALSA error message.

EDIT: I figured out the problem on my own and here is how:

Apparently my ATI Radeon 3870 has it's own sound card and was labeled as module 0. This meant it was being loaded at boot before my internal sound card. I fixed this by first figuring out what my internal card was labeled as.

bash-4.0# cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_intel8x0
2 snd_usb_audio

I realized the ATI was first so I decided to look in  /etc/modprobe.d/sound and here is what I found:

alias snd-card-0 snd_hda_intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

Since card 0 and sound-slot 0 were both snd_hda_intel all I had to do was change it to snd_intel8x0:

alias snd-card-0 snd_intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd_intel8x0

I rebooted to find everything working again. I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue. Happy Archin!

~Silvernode

Last edited by silvernode (2009-09-07 02:28:03)

Board footer