You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-11 07:59:17

onthejob

Java works in root but not for user

Hello, Java works fine under root but won't work for user. i assume it is a permission problem but am not sure how to enable java for user. Can you help please?
Regards

#2 2009-09-11 09:13:59

sand_man

Re: Java works in root but not for user

Any relevant error messages would help.
Why doesn't it work? More specifically, how do you know it doesn't work?

Stupid questions, I know. But you have provided no information.

neutral

#3 2009-09-11 10:22:04

onthejob

Re: Java works in root but not for user

hello sand_man, i know it doesn't work because it's not working. i was looking at a site fcbs.org as root and the java applet (which is the menu) shows up and works. accessing the same site as user brings up a grey rectangle where the menu should be with "install missing plugin" in the grey box but the plugin is installed.  i'll plug away and see how i go. i've installed arch several times but have given it away early when the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work... something i believe fundamentally necessary for a new install. i sorta can't be bothered with too much trouble, as i believe a new install with no mouse or keyboard in modern linux is a pretty poor outcome. i've fiddled around and now have both mouse and keyboard and fiddled with hal and dbus to get them working and they both work now. now for the fine tuning. i'll get arch working this time. thanks for replying :-)

Last edited by onthejob (2009-09-11 10:24:51)

Board footer